Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just curious how common gallbladder disease/removal is among celiacs. I took my 14 year old to the doctor today for her stomach problems and she told him her poop is green (she never told me that). He said that it is bile. I am now concerned about her gallbladder. I had mine removed at 22 and I think it made my stomach problems worse. He agreed to run the celiac panel on her though because I told him how well I did on the diet and he said it is a possibility.

Are gallbladder problems common for celiacs?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes gallbladder problems are extremely common for people with celiac disease. I had my gallbladder removed fifteen years ago. Somebody else did a poll once, and it is incredible how many people here had their gallbladders removed, many of them quite young, like you.

It sure sounds like your daughter may have celiac disease as well. Having her tested is a good idea.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

i had mine out 16yrs ago, 2 months after the birth of my first child..i instantly went into GI problems and suffered for so many years with "IBS" this past august when i was diagnosed with DH and started my gluten-free diet, is when i've felt the best!

Join eNewsletter

I had my gallbladder removed in August. I don't know if my Celiac had any effect on my gallbladder since the first symptoms of gallbladder probems started 22 years after I was diagnosed with Celiac.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Join eNewsletter

Yes, I had my gallbladder out December 2006. They promised me it would solve all my problems. The next day after I left the hospital, the surgeon said, no restrictions, eat whatever you like....I came home and made pancakes, and didn't leave the bathroom for a very long time. I went back to see the GI, and explained that something was still very wrong. I wasn't diagnosed til February of this year. Who knows if I really had to lose my gallbladder though :blink:

Join eNewsletter

Had my GB out 10 years ago at age 30. Don't really remember having bad GI issues until a couple of years later though, right after my kids were born. Was then stuck in the bathroom for the ensuing 5 1/2 years (with screaming twins - FUN!). Until my daughter was diagnosed in '05 and I joined her on the diet and instant relief - no more troubles!

If I never see the inside of another roadside out-house with my kids sitting in the car - I'll die a happy woman!

barb

Daughter, Camryn diagnosed with diabetes 3/06

diagnosed with celiac (blood test and biosy confirmed) 5/06

Join eNewsletter

When my son had appendicitis, the surgeon said that intestinal inflammation will cause bacteria to become trapped in the appendix and/or the gall bladder, causing severe problems. I have wondered since then if that is what has happened to many celiacs. My gall bladder was removed in 2004.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

Join eNewsletter

I had my gallbladder taken out in the summer of 2005... that's when my celiac flared up. Before that I was diagnosed IBS, spastic colon, lactose intolerant, blah, blah, blah...

After my gallbladder was removed, I pretty much lived on the toilet <_< until I went gluten-free after a positive blood test this June. So I'm thinking my gallbladder surgery was my "trigger." :angry:

• Gluten-free since 6/12/07
  • Positive Blood Test
  • Sjogren's Syndrome
  • DH
  • HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8) DQ2 and DQ8

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter