Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

martyu

Vacation In Haiwii- Shopping For Gluten Free Breads Etc

going to haiwii this winter, any tips on shopping for gluten free bread etc on mauii and honalulu, away for 2 weeks each , have kitchen etc so would like to have toast in am etc , costco /safeway close by but not sure if they have gluten free bread ( I can bring frozen bread but not optional)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

I live in Kona but work for UH and go to Honolulu each month. Some of the health food stores have frozen bread but not many. Nothing at costco or safeway. At teh farmers market here there are a number of vendors who make gluten free breads but I've never seen them at the Oahu market on Satudays at Kapiolani Community College. There are a lot of fruits and other gluten-free foods there though. Finding something not laced with soy sauce is not always easy in Honolulu. Chef Mavro's restaurant will make special gluten-free meals but it is very expensive to eat there. One of the best meals I ever had but not something we can afford to do often. Nicks Fishmarket is also good and will prepare gluten-free meals given advance notice.

India cafe where we go after work has a lot of gluten-free menu items too. If you get really desperate, I can mail something from Kona.

Ken

going to haiwii this winter, any tips on shopping for gluten free bread etc on mauii and honalulu, away for 2 weeks each , have kitchen etc so would like to have toast in am etc , costco /safeway close by but not sure if they have gluten free bread ( I can bring frozen bread but not optional)

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I don't remember the stores name but on Maui near the airport is a health food store that was pretty big in size. It's on the main street heading out away from the airport. I recall seeing the same store name in Lahaina although that one was smaller in size. I didn't have Celiac when I was there 5-years ago so I can't say for certain that you'll find what you're looking for but, generally health food stores have a decent selection of gluten-free foods.

Aloha,

Cleveland Bob B)

"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....

gluten-free Since December 2004.....

Soy Intolerant August 2007......

Join eNewsletter

i went to Hawaii (Honolulu)in August and as far as gluten-free food is concerned it was a nightmare!

most vendors i spoke to had no idea what gluten is, weren't interested (after all there are thousands of other customers to serve) or not in command of the english language.

i found one health food store on the north shore which had one single gluten-free loaf (frozen) in the freezer, very few other items that were gluten-free but priced out of my range.

however, next to it there was a small market with food stalls and the chap that ran the Thai food stall was brilliant, ever so helpful and knew exactly what was required... after 3 days of sushi, papaya and nuts i could have kissed his feet :lol:

Waikiki has one supermarket that has a few gluten-free products, other than that it is pretty dim...

rice cakes only from chinatown...

next time i go back i will take heaps of stuff with me...

good luck, let us know how you went!

Join eNewsletter

I found lots of stuff in Maui. I went to Down to Earth in Kahului when we arrived, and went to Mana Foods in Paia a couple of times (as we stayed there). There was another health food store in either Lahaina or Kihei (I can't remember). Had a couple of good restaurant meals (especially Sansei sushi!) but otherwise mostly cooked at the condo or bed&breakfast.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

You are so lucky......I would love to visit this places but I don't have enough time. Maybe I will go to Hawaii on my honeymoon. :D

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter