Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHough

Pamela's Pancake And Baking Mix

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've only used it to make pancakes (I use milk instead of water in the recipe for extra fluff) and I use it for my banana bread recipe to replace not only the flour but the baking powder and baking soda instead.

For example, the original recipe calls for 2 2/3 c flour + 1TBSP baking powder + 1TBSP baking soda (I think anyway).

Since Pamela's has the baking powder, baking soda, flour, and xanthan gum, I just use 3c of Pamela's instead.

I've made my banana bread TWICE that way with Pamela's and no one even thought it was gluten-free.

I'm damned excited to make some cookies using Pamela's. It is especially helpful for me since I am a bit kitchen-challenged.

Join eNewsletter

Can Pamela's Pancake and Baking mix be used as a substitute for wheat flour? Is there anything else that I would need to do to the recipe if I use it as a substitution?

Thanks, Jessica

I have used it as a replacement for wheat flour in quick breads, muffins, cakes, and cupcakes. I made no other recipe adjustments, and it turned out great. I have not used it for yeast breads.

Edit- Crap, I take it back- Like Buffettbride, I also omitted any ingredients from the recipe that were already included in the Pamela's mix. lol- sorry.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

I use it 1:1 in any recipe that calls for any bisquick type substance. It is not a replacement for wheat flour, it is more of a baking mix. the Pamelas Products website has lots of good recipes, if you are interested.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter