This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Converting An Apple Crisp Recipie To Cf

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm so happy to be able to make apple crisp with oats again and have converted my old recipe to gluten-free and made it sucessfully many times but now I want to replace the butter with something. Will Earthbalance or Spectrum shortening work? The texture will be diferent I'm sure because the butter is cut in cold, while it's firm. Maybe a little ghee with the shortening to add the butter flavor. Shortening by itself sounds so laking in flavor. What would you or have you done?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

I haven't tried a cf crisp topping before, but I've been researching baking with ghee and most of what I have come across echoes that ghee and butter have different properties in baking, so the results might be a little oilier with ghee.

It was recommended you use less ghee than the amount of butter called for when baking.

If you do a search for "vegan apple crisp" or any vegan fruit crisps, you might get some ideas for what and the amount they sub for butter, I saw anything from canola oil to margarine.

Adding a little ghee to the margarine is a good idea I think, to add a little "butter" flavor.

Do you have time to do a test run??

missy'smom Collaborator

Thank you for all the help lately! I will try a search for vegan crisp.

I'm not preparing it for a special occassion. We just love it for breakfast or snack.

Mom23boys Contributor

Earth Balance works just fine

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Also great for crunchy topping:

pecans

coconut

same amount of both

dates

enough for it to start to stick together

dash salt

dash cayenne pepper

cocoa nibs (raw chocolate - optional)

put in food processor until it just sticks together; dump on top of bowl of fruit. No sugar. Raw. Goodness of nuts (if you can digest them). Vegan.

Green12 Enthusiast
Thank you for all the help lately! I will try a search for vegan crisp.

I'm not preparing it for a special occassion. We just love it for breakfast or snack.

You're welcome, let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

num1habsfan Rising Star
I'm so happy to be able to make apple crisp with oats again and have converted my old recipe to gluten-free and made it sucessfully many times but now I want to replace the butter with something. Will Earthbalance or Spectrum shortening work? The texture will be diferent I'm sure because the butter is cut in cold, while it's firm. Maybe a little ghee with the shortening to add the butter flavor. Shortening by itself sounds so laking in flavor. What would you or have you done?

I have a recipe that will work. I just need to find it...I kind of created it myself.

~ Lisa ~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks. I'm going to try it with the Earthbalance this weekend. I have a whole bag of oats just waiting to be used :D so I'd be happy to try your recipie num1habsfan, if you come across it.

• 1 month later...
missy'smom Collaborator
You're welcome, let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

It took me a while but I finally tried this recipie subbing same amount of Earthbalance for the butter. I was satisfied with the results. the oats helped it crisp and made up for any difference in texture that the substitution caused. Thanks again to all for you help!

Fruit Crisp Topping:

1/2 c. oats

1/4 to 1/2c. packed brown sugar

1/4 c. gluten-free flour( I used a white rice/starch blend and sorghum with 1 part rice flour 1 part sorghum and potato and tapioca starches)

1/4 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger

1/4 c. Earthbalance Spread ( or 2 Tb. Earthbalance, 2 Tb. Spectrum shortening)

1/4 c. chopped nuts-optional

Archived