Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colorado

Making Pot Roast, But There Is A Problem

Since being diagnosed we have been very label conscious about what we buy. We used to always use a seasoning packet for the pot roast but that had gluten so we stopped using it. Now being gluten free twice we have made pot roast and twice I got glutened some how.

Basically, we buy the beef, some potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Clean all the veggies and toss everything in a crock pot. Throw some organic spices on there (gluten free) and let it cook all day.

Now we are stuck trying to figure out what the culprit could be. Is it possible the butcher handling the beef is contaminating it? What else to look for? The last time we made it (last week) the beef did have one of those net things over it so that would maybe be an issue in my book, but that doesn't explain why it happened the week or so before when it didn't have one.

Anyway, if you have any input on other things I should be looking at I would appreciate it. I ogga have my meat n potatoes.

If you have CVID and have been diagnosed with celiac disease, it's possible you may not have it. Talk to your immunologist.

If you have read any of my restaurant posts, do not follow what I have ordered anywhere as I cannot guarantee it is gluten free.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have you really, really scrubbed your crockpot? Twice would be even better!

Did you cut your veggies on a cutting board that was used for gluten items in the past? Or rinse them with a strainer that used to be used for gluten pasta?

I doubt that the meat is the problem. Is it possible you are intolerant to potatoes? They will give me symptoms similar to celiac disease.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Have you really, really scrubbed your crockpot? Twice would be even better!

Did you cut your veggies on a cutting board that was used for gluten items in the past? Or rinse them with a strainer that used to be used for gluten pasta?

I doubt that the meat is the problem. Is it possible you are intolerant to potatoes? They will give me symptoms similar to celiac disease.

Ursa, how do you deal with being intolerant to potatoes? I think I might die if I am, b/c they are one of my fave foods. We'll see, right now I'm doing a dairy free test, but potatoes are next.

Colorado - i also doubt the meat being the culprit. Using the same kitchen items you used pre-dx can be hazardous if you don't clean them out super good, and then clean them again!

Another thought - maybe try making the pot roast, only use another method (cook it in a pan in the oven) and see if you're still getting sick w/ the same ingredients.

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Since being diagnosed we have been very label conscious about what we buy. We used to always use a seasoning packet for the pot roast but that had gluten so we stopped using it. Now being gluten free twice we have made pot roast and twice I got glutened some how.

Basically, we buy the beef, some potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Clean all the veggies and toss everything in a crock pot. Throw some organic spices on there (gluten free) and let it cook all day.

Now we are stuck trying to figure out what the culprit could be. Is it possible the butcher handling the beef is contaminating it? What else to look for? The last time we made it (last week) the beef did have one of those net things over it so that would maybe be an issue in my book, but that doesn't explain why it happened the week or so before when it didn't have one.

Anyway, if you have any input on other things I should be looking at I would appreciate it. I ogga have my meat n potatoes.

I would also vote for the crock pot being the culprit. I got glutened by my parents crock pot and now won't eat anything that comes out of it.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Join eNewsletter

Thanks everyone, we did a good job cleaning it, but maybe we need to either buy a new one or really get after it. Potatoes are fine, I eat them daily practically.

The glass cutting board and the strainer have both been hand washed and put through a sani-wash cycle in the dishwasher so I hoped they would be free and clear.

If you have CVID and have been diagnosed with celiac disease, it's possible you may not have it. Talk to your immunologist.

If you have read any of my restaurant posts, do not follow what I have ordered anywhere as I cannot guarantee it is gluten free.

Join eNewsletter

The glass cutting board and the strainer have both been hand washed and put through a sani-wash cycle in the dishwasher so I hoped they would be free and clear.

If your strainer is made out of plastic, then it is the culprit. It is absolutely NOT possible to clean it well enough to be safe (just like toasters). Buy a new one, they aren't that expensive. I bet you'll be fine then. The glass cutting board should be fine, though. It is wooden ones and/or scratched plastic ones you need to replace.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

This is interesting. I also seem to have problems when i make my pot roast. I don't use a crock pot, but a big pot on the stove. Ingredients are beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and Kraft Catalina dressing. I thought maybe it was the dressing, but since you are mentioning it too I'm starting to wonder if it is something else? I don't think it's the pan since I've made other things in it, but I'll have to test it out again. Please post if you find out anything and I'll do the same. (I also eat these ingredients in other dishes - except the roast and dressing - so I know it's not potatoes).

Join eNewsletter

They make disposable liners for crock pots try using one of them and see if you are ok after that.

Yellow Rose

27 years of misdiognoses

seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet

rheumatoid arthritis May 1980

wrist joint replacement Jan 1984

fibromyalgia May 1980

insomnia since the 80's

diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds

Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea

Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:

depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.

Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive

Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Join eNewsletter

We do pot roast quite a bit. Actually, we get a brisket from King Soopers (no strings). I always rinse it off before putting in the Crock Pot. (I recently got a new one but we never had problems after a REALLY good scrub of our old one, I just wanted a bigger one).

We usually use Pacific Natural Foods or Wolfgang Puck beef broth (says gluten-free right on the label) plus we like to toss in a gluten-free beer as well. I've also heard of people putting in coffee!

Then, we use crushed garlic (from a jar) and Heinz Chili Sauce to season plus sprinkle the pot roast with salt and pepper.

Then we add our potatoes, carrots, and celery, cover and let cook all day while we are at work.

My daughter has NEVER been glutened from our pot roast done that way.

Join eNewsletter

Thank you all for the replies. We are going to try scrubbing the crock pot some more and look for those liners as well as a test. We really only use the crock pot for making pot roast so I don't really have anything else to test with it until we take these next steps.

I could believe that whether it is a crock pot or some other ceramic style pot that potentially has pores or little pockets for stuff to get trapped in.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter