This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Making Pot Roast, But There Is A Problem

colorado

colorado Apprentice

Since being diagnosed we have been very label conscious about what we buy. We used to always use a seasoning packet for the pot roast but that had gluten so we stopped using it. Now being gluten free twice we have made pot roast and twice I got glutened some how.

Basically, we buy the beef, some potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Clean all the veggies and toss everything in a crock pot. Throw some organic spices on there (gluten free) and let it cook all day.

Now we are stuck trying to figure out what the culprit could be. Is it possible the butcher handling the beef is contaminating it? What else to look for? The last time we made it (last week) the beef did have one of those net things over it so that would maybe be an issue in my book, but that doesn't explain why it happened the week or so before when it didn't have one.

Anyway, if you have any input on other things I should be looking at I would appreciate it. I ogga have my meat n potatoes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Have you really, really scrubbed your crockpot? Twice would be even better!

Did you cut your veggies on a cutting board that was used for gluten items in the past? Or rinse them with a strainer that used to be used for gluten pasta?

I doubt that the meat is the problem. Is it possible you are intolerant to potatoes? They will give me symptoms similar to celiac disease.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Have you really, really scrubbed your crockpot? Twice would be even better!

Did you cut your veggies on a cutting board that was used for gluten items in the past? Or rinse them with a strainer that used to be used for gluten pasta?

I doubt that the meat is the problem. Is it possible you are intolerant to potatoes? They will give me symptoms similar to celiac disease.

Ursa, how do you deal with being intolerant to potatoes? I think I might die if I am, b/c they are one of my fave foods. We'll see, right now I'm doing a dairy free test, but potatoes are next.

Colorado - i also doubt the meat being the culprit. Using the same kitchen items you used pre-dx can be hazardous if you don't clean them out super good, and then clean them again!

Another thought - maybe try making the pot roast, only use another method (cook it in a pan in the oven) and see if you're still getting sick w/ the same ingredients.

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Since being diagnosed we have been very label conscious about what we buy. We used to always use a seasoning packet for the pot roast but that had gluten so we stopped using it. Now being gluten free twice we have made pot roast and twice I got glutened some how.

Basically, we buy the beef, some potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Clean all the veggies and toss everything in a crock pot. Throw some organic spices on there (gluten free) and let it cook all day.

Now we are stuck trying to figure out what the culprit could be. Is it possible the butcher handling the beef is contaminating it? What else to look for? The last time we made it (last week) the beef did have one of those net things over it so that would maybe be an issue in my book, but that doesn't explain why it happened the week or so before when it didn't have one.

Anyway, if you have any input on other things I should be looking at I would appreciate it. I ogga have my meat n potatoes.

I would also vote for the crock pot being the culprit. I got glutened by my parents crock pot and now won't eat anything that comes out of it.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

colorado Apprentice

Thanks everyone, we did a good job cleaning it, but maybe we need to either buy a new one or really get after it. Potatoes are fine, I eat them daily practically.

The glass cutting board and the strainer have both been hand washed and put through a sani-wash cycle in the dishwasher so I hoped they would be free and clear.

Ursa Major Collaborator
The glass cutting board and the strainer have both been hand washed and put through a sani-wash cycle in the dishwasher so I hoped they would be free and clear.

If your strainer is made out of plastic, then it is the culprit. It is absolutely NOT possible to clean it well enough to be safe (just like toasters). Buy a new one, they aren't that expensive. I bet you'll be fine then. The glass cutting board should be fine, though. It is wooden ones and/or scratched plastic ones you need to replace.

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

This is interesting. I also seem to have problems when i make my pot roast. I don't use a crock pot, but a big pot on the stove. Ingredients are beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and Kraft Catalina dressing. I thought maybe it was the dressing, but since you are mentioning it too I'm starting to wonder if it is something else? I don't think it's the pan since I've made other things in it, but I'll have to test it out again. Please post if you find out anything and I'll do the same. (I also eat these ingredients in other dishes - except the roast and dressing - so I know it's not potatoes).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yellow Rose Explorer

They make disposable liners for crock pots try using one of them and see if you are ok after that.

Yellow Rose

buffettbride Enthusiast

We do pot roast quite a bit. Actually, we get a brisket from King Soopers (no strings). I always rinse it off before putting in the Crock Pot. (I recently got a new one but we never had problems after a REALLY good scrub of our old one, I just wanted a bigger one).

We usually use Pacific Natural Foods or Wolfgang Puck beef broth (says gluten-free right on the label) plus we like to toss in a gluten-free beer as well. I've also heard of people putting in coffee!

Then, we use crushed garlic (from a jar) and Heinz Chili Sauce to season plus sprinkle the pot roast with salt and pepper.

Then we add our potatoes, carrots, and celery, cover and let cook all day while we are at work.

My daughter has NEVER been glutened from our pot roast done that way.

colorado Apprentice

Thank you all for the replies. We are going to try scrubbing the crock pot some more and look for those liners as well as a test. We really only use the crock pot for making pot roast so I don't really have anything else to test with it until we take these next steps.

I could believe that whether it is a crock pot or some other ceramic style pot that potentially has pores or little pockets for stuff to get trapped in.

Archived