Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rumbles

Dh And Insurance

Has anyone had any problems getting medical insurance after being diagnosed with DH? (If you have run into problems with this, and if it's allowed, please list the first initial of the ins.co.) I'm concerned about my dermatologist listing DH on records if it means trouble switching insurance companies. ~ Thanks, - I really appreciate the help on this!

Pat

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Jersey Girl,

My family has switched insurance carriers a couple of times since my daughter was diagnosed with DH and so far, we haven't run into any problems. Insurance, however, has come from either my husband's work or mine, and no one has asked for any pre-condition proof, it that's what you're concerned about. Are you looking for independent health insurance and, if so, are they asking about pre-conditions? DH is challenging for sure, but it can be controlled and isn't life threatening, so I wouldn't think insurance should be too much of a problem. Some insurance carriers, and health care flex spending accounts, will even cover the cost of gluten free foods, providing you have proof of a health related neccesity.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks, Lola!

I will be looking for new health insurance coverage in the next few months, and have heard that some companies won't issue a policy with celiac, - but I wasn't sure if the same was true with DH, since it's now known to be celiac disease. I was diagnosed when I was very young, but was told it's something I would grow out of, - it's been so long that it's no longer in my medical history, - so far my doctors have been keeping it off my records, and I've been doing everything that I can to keep it that way, since I've been so concerned about switching to private insurance. Thanks for your response!

Pat

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter