Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

Gluten Intolerant - All Of A Sudden?

my whole life i lived w/o knowing i had a gluten allergy. (or celiac, i dunno).

now at 30 i decided to get some bloodword done to see if i had a food intolerance, IBS or whatever causes my bloating or constipation.

can these thing just come on, all of a sudden?

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, celiac is often triggered by a trauma to the body - illness, stress, injury, pregnancy, etc.

It is important to have a clear view of the celiac damage

We would not want someone to wait before getting tested. There are supposedly 2,910.000 people who have this, according to the estimates.

A trauma can cause an escalation or flare up of celiac. A trauma "kicks things up a notch"...

But generally celiac is something has been going in, unnoticed.

The doctors may not have noticed before a trauma creates major symptoms, but unnoticed celiac is still damaging.

That is why celiac screening is very important. Celiac is a good example of how we should be thinking of future medical care. Prevention is preferable to treatment.

And we should think that way about celiac this way!

Even if current testing is not perfect - which it is not - to diagnose celiac before other damage has occurred is far better than waiting for a trauma to occur.

Join eNewsletter

I was 55 and woke up one morning, took a sip of coffee and threw up. Even without the coffee I did that for 6 months before they figured out is was celiac. I had never had any problems with any foods or allergies prior to 2.5 years ago.

It just happens.. I read that 20% of us get it around age 60, sI I was just early.

my whole life i lived w/o knowing i had a gluten allergy. (or celiac, i dunno).

now at 30 i decided to get some bloodword done to see if i had a food intolerance, IBS or whatever causes my bloating or constipation.

can these thing just come on, all of a sudden?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter