Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newceliac

Actonel?

I would like to know if anyone else had this reaction or any side effects after taking actonel.

I have been very careful regarding accidental glutenings and cc, however I have had episodes in the past couple of weeks that make me feel awful. I can't think of anything I ate that would make me feel this way.

I have a severe Vitamin D deficiency and I am on my second round of Calciferol, 50,000 units 1x weekly. This does not seem to cause side effects other than constipation. Recently, the doctor prescribed Actonel (35 mg 1x weekly). I have taken it 2 weeks so far. Both times I have taken it, I feel awful for 3-4 afterwards. I get stomach pains and cramps, abdominal cramps.......it will feel like I need to use the bathroom, but I can't. Some of the cramps almost double me over. I also just feel generally ill with fatigue, muscle pain and lightheaded. I know that glutenings can cause these symptoms but it is weird that I can't think I any accidental glutenings and it has been right after I take the Actonel.

I read in Dr. Green's book that you should not start any of the drugs for osteoporosis for at least 1 year after the celiac diagnosis. I mentioned this to the doctor since I was diagnosed about 2 months ago but he thought it would be OK. I think I am going to stop the Actonel for now....it is not worth to feel so bad especially not during the holiday season.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for constipation? That was one of my main symptoms priorto diagnosis. For the first couple of weeks after going gluten free, I seemed better and more regular. Now, I am back to constipation. I have tried Fiber (which is gluten free) which doesn't help and seems to make me nauseous and I take magnesium. Nothing seems to help. I am open to suggestions. :angry:

Thanks for any assistance anyone can give.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Join eNewsletter