Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joni63

Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix

Hello,

So, I'm getting ready for my first gluten-free Thanksgiving. Bought GFP French Bread Mix. Thought I would bake it up today, eat some with dinner and freeze half for stuffing for Thanksgiving. Looked at the directions :huh:I need a bread machine! I don't know what I was thinking but I don't have a bread machine! The closest thing I have is an old food processor that does have dough type hooks.

Can I use that? I'm sure I won't be kneading dough by hand - that is just way too much! What should I do?

Thanks!

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have a box of that mix. I haven't made it yet, but on my box it has directions on how to use a heavy duty mixer and the oven. They are located just below the directions for the bread machine. If you need them, let me know. I can type them up for you.

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Join eNewsletter

I have a box of that mix. I haven't made it yet, but on my box it has directions on how to use a heavy duty mixer and the oven. They are located just below the directions for the bread machine. If you need them, let me know. I can type them up for you.

ptkds

Oh, yes it does! Thank you I did not see it at first. I'm so relieved.

Your the best ptkds!

Joni

Join eNewsletter

I make this bread about every two weeks or so--I always use my Kitchen Aid mixer and bake it in the oven. It comes out fine :)

PS--I use water in place of any milk and light olive oil as the oil/butter. Delicious!

Also, it makes a bit too much dough for my Pyrex loaf pan, so I use the rest of the dough for hamburger rolls.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I make this bread about every two weeks or so--I always use my Kitchen Aid mixer and bake it in the oven. It comes out fine :)

PS--I use water in place of any milk and light olive oil as the oil/butter. Delicious!

Also, it makes a bit too much dough for my Pyrex loaf pan, so I use the rest of the dough for hamburger rolls.

Well, it's in the oven now. My regular mixer had dough hooks I forgot about because I've never used them. I was surprised that the dough was smooth and easy to work with. Guess I expected a heavy thick dough. I used water and corn oil - wasn't sure if my olive oil would be too heavy(it's not lite).

Great idea making the extra into hamburger rolls. :)

I'll let you know how my first bread experience turns out! :unsure:

Joni

Join eNewsletter

Well, it's done. I'm not overly impressed, but it's not too bad either. White bread/french bread isn't something I'm real fond of non gluten free so I'm not surprised. Seems like the texture will work as stuffing. If not, I think I'll try a corn bread stuffing next time.

Joni

Join eNewsletter

has any one tried to make these into rolls/biscuits? i didn't even think of offering bread at thanksgiving dinner but realized that's only because i never eat bread but the rest of the world does....i have a box of this mix and thought i could try dropping in onto a cookie sheet but i don't want to waste a whole box of mix if it isn't going to work....

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Join eNewsletter

has any one tried to make these into rolls/biscuits? i didn't even think of offering bread at thanksgiving dinner but realized that's only because i never eat bread but the rest of the world does....i have a box of this mix and thought i could try dropping in onto a cookie sheet but i don't want to waste a whole box of mix if it isn't going to work....

Yes--like I said above, I bake a loaf but my bread pan is a bit small, so I use the leftover dough to make into rolls.

I usually make them hamburger bun size, but I've also made them smaller. Just drop the dough on a cookie sheet and shape with plastic wrap between your hands and the dough(easier that way ;) ). Let it rise for the 40 minutes and then bake until golden brown.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I just bought that mix myself and I do have a bread machine, but I mixed it by hand, covered it with plastic wrap in the pan to rise and then baked it, it was good! I loved freshly baked homemade bread, you just can't beat it with store bought types, especially when it's gluten-free. gluten-free pantry also makes a yankee cornbread mix that I plan to use for my cornbread dressing. Good luck and have a happy thanksgiving!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter