Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

byrmanson

Should I Get New Tests From Introlab? Need Help Interpreting.

I got some tests run from a local lab. The doctor that ordered them hasn't explained a darn thing and just told me to do the gluten diet. But I think these tests are negative, so why do the diet (I am anyway). I have two doctor friends that told me to do the diet too... but I can't understand their rationale from these tests? Where are the antibodies?

Here's what I got back. I have also had a doctor tell me not to trust the lab normals, and that if I'm on the low end or high end of the normals that it could still be a problem? So what good are these test then?

I do believe I'm gluten senstive (self-diagnosed) regardless of these numbers as my research and my diet experiments have all supported the possibility. But, this seems to be a great forum for trustworthy input. PLEASE tell me what you've heard or what you see in these results?

I read these to say:

(1) that I am positive for a gene causing celiac, (2) but am normal for T-transglut IGA (test result 1), and (3) have normal Immunoglobulins. Also looks like (4) possibly low iron and (5) low Vit D but not outside the lab normals? The lab normals are confusing me, and my research has made me conclude that these tests may not have picked up a sensitivity ... perhaps there are other tests too that would be more helpful?

HELP! HELP! HELP!

IRON

Ferritin = 28 (normal 10-291)

Immunoglobulins

IgA 135 (Normals 70-400) [these normals look wierd to me to have such a range???]

Celiac Disease HLA DQ Association

DQ2 POSITIVE

DQA1 NEGATIVE

Vitamins

Vitamin D, 25 OH = 49.5

(normals 32-100)

Serology

T-transglut IGA 1 (Normals 0-3)

T-transglut IGA

Neg: 0-3

Weak Pos: 4-10

Pos: >10

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Seeing as doctors in this country are very reluctant as a rule to tell someone to do the diet I have to assume that you have health issues that are pointing strongly in that direction. You also say that you have felt better without gluten, were your blood tests done before or after you went gluten free? You have had 3 doctors tell you that you need to be gluten free, you feel better gluten free and you carry a celiac and an intolerance gene. The blood testing is not perfect, it missed me for many long and disabling years. It has done so for others also. The truest test is your response to a strict gluten free diet.

If I am not mistaken you are asking about Enterolab testing. They test for stool antibodies to gluten, casien, soy, yeast and egg. If you feel better on the diet I would just stay with it but if you need more conclusive testing the stool testing for antibodies is pretty sensitive and has less false negatives than blood testing.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Just to clarify, I have reason to think that the doctor that ordered the test overdiagnoses gluten senstivity as a "fad" diagnosis. In addition, the two other doctors weren't specialized in this but friends that I sought out.

And, no, I don't have significant symptoms compared to other people on this board AT ALL....

Thank you for your input!

Join eNewsletter

Well, celiac disease can be asymptomatic, so that isn't a complete rule out. Also some have symptoms that clear that they had not paid attention to.

I agree, if you want more testing of a different type, try Enterolab. The other option if you are still eating gluten, is to ask for a biopsy. Some people have negative blood tests but positive biopsy.

Enterolab doesn't diagnose celiac, but does pick up gluten sensitivity quite well.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter