Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRUMI1968

Double The Genes

Got my Enterolab back today. Well, I've got two copies of DQ3 and one copy of DQ2 (subtypes 2 and 8). I called my Mom today, and my sister. Seems if you've got two copies of the gene, then both parents gifted one to you. Thus, my mom can no longer assume out loud that it is my father's side that gave me my propensity.

I'm hoping this spurs my mom and sister to get tested. My Mom has gone somewhat gluten free when her hubby got diagnosed with DH earlier this year - so she thinks she's gluten free, but she's not. First off, they eat Quaker Oats no matter how much I tell them about not doing so. Plus, my mom loves beer. She may have cut back, but she is in no way gluten-free. Plus, she thinks nothing has changed for her, so that means she's fine. I realize it's possible she does not have celiac disease; but I wish she would find out so I don't end up at her bedside watching her suffer with intestinal cancer or something.

Anyhow, hopefully my sister will get tested since she had every symptom in the book except thinness. She's recently got on thyroid meds, so lost 20-30 pounds, and is feeling okay about herself again. She was so depressed before, she wouldn't even consider helping herself. Maybe now she will.

Just to sum up rest of testing: okay on the fatty stool/absorption issues (260 units 300 minimum), the egg (8 minimum 10), the casein (7 minimum 10); barely okay on the yeast (9 minimum 10); and not okay in low numbers on the soy (12 minimum 10). My only concern is that I was already not eating dairy or soy - so not sure I would have any antibodies anyhow. If I add back any dairy, it would only be for special occasion, raw, and goat. That'll make it few and far between.

Happy Monday!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Your post sounds like my mother's voice!!! It had to come from your father's side of the family.....thanks for the laugh, but I have since found both sides of my family ( cousins mainly) have celiac or gluten intolerances.......

As far as your MOM partially going gluten-free means nothing, the outcome is still the same one must be totally gluten-free to have any impact for the body to heal itself. I know she doesn't get it & I think at times family just doesn't want to believe the truth ... I think you should buy her one of the excellent books available on celiacs..... I love Peter Green's Book.... maybe hearing the words from a doctor would help ...

It is hard to understand when you have no big symptoms to follow a pricey diet so I think alot of people just put themselves into the "can't be mode "

because it is the easy road ...

Hope & prayers is about all one can do..... You know the old saying" you can lead the horse to the water but you can't make him drink"

blessings

mamaw

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter