Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

catina

Mashed Potatoes

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It depends on the brand--you can never assume that a whole classification of foods is gluten-free. :)

That said, Potato Buds are safe--I use those. Also, Barbara's Instant Mashed Potatoes are gluten-free.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I make my own. They taste a lot better thank the instant. I have used Russet Red, and Yukon yellow pototoes.

For mashed potatoes, I always do, too.

I like the Potato Buds for "breading" chicken. Mixed with salt, pepper and a generous amount of garlic powder, it makes a delicious coating. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

While we're on the subject, any ideas on what to use in mashed potatoes (from scratch) instead of dairy (milk, butter, sour cream, etc)? Would really like to make masheds for Thursday, but since going dairy-free, am at kind of a loss. Failing to find any alternatives, will just make oven tatotes (cut up, put on an oiled cookie sheet, salt & pepper, and bake at 350 for an hour). But gravy goes better on masheds.

Thanks!

2/05 GERD

3/07 Multinodular goiter (suspicious for follicular neoplasm as of 11/07)

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

6/07 Elevated mercury, subclinical hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, CFS

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 PCOS (cysts in breasts, ovaries and cervix)

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

2/08 Candida (per Doctor's Data)

3/08 Lyme disease (clinical dx), began tx

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

4/08 Began tx for babs and bart

4/08 Slightly elevated titres for EBV and HHV-6. IgG1 deficiency.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... and stranger."

Join eNewsletter

I'm dairy and soy free, and I use plain rice milk and "butter"--Smart Squeeze, which is gluten-free/SF/DF--and pepper. Tastes pretty much the same!

Hope this helps!

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

Join eNewsletter

For mashed potatoes, I always do, too.

I like the Potato Buds for "breading" chicken. Mixed with salt, pepper and a generous amount of garlic powder, it makes a delicious coating. :)

You can make them with rice milk, but they don't have a lot of flavor. If you can get some Smart Squeeze, you can add that for a good buttery flavor! It's a liquid margarine made by Smart Balance. Contains no dairy or soy!

Another way to make them is with broth. I boil them as usual, then drain off most of the liquid. I save some in case I need to add some back in. I then add some broth or boullion concentrate and mash. If I don't have concentrate, I will drain off all of the water, dry them off, then mash them using some broth. I try to match the type of broth to the meat I am serving. Or you can use vegetable broth. Smart Squeeze is also good in here. I will sometimes add some snipped chives or green onions for additional flavor.

Jewish people can not eat dairy and meat at the same meal so this is where I got the idea to make potatoes this way.

Join eNewsletter

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! Trying to plan Thanksgiving here at my house, and being gluten and diary free since July - don't know all the ins and outs. You are a lifesaver!

Proud Mom of now 3 - one of which is dairy intolerant, and a hubby who is dairy intolerant.

Coconut, pseudoephedrine, lidocaine with epinephrine, sulfa and penicillin allergies for several years

Gluten, dairy and wheat intolerant since July 2007, soy intolerant since October 2008.

Be kind, for everyone you speak to is fighting their own battles.

Join eNewsletter

Thank you! The last dinner hurdle has been jumped! :D

Decided not to make stuffing this year. Its just hubby and I and we're going to his parents place after we eat. He can pork out on stuffing there. :)

2/05 GERD

3/07 Multinodular goiter (suspicious for follicular neoplasm as of 11/07)

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

6/07 Elevated mercury, subclinical hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, CFS

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 PCOS (cysts in breasts, ovaries and cervix)

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

2/08 Candida (per Doctor's Data)

3/08 Lyme disease (clinical dx), began tx

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

4/08 Began tx for babs and bart

4/08 Slightly elevated titres for EBV and HHV-6. IgG1 deficiency.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... and stranger."

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter