This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fructose Malabsorption?

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

Has anyone heard of this condition or possible have this problem. I have been noticing that if i consume a lot of fruit, or high fructose corn syrup, that i get burning tired eyes, anxiety, moody, and a stiff neck and full head. I have cut out dairy,soy,gluten, and sugar. And i still dont feel right. Does this seem like a possible fructose problem. Please lend me some advice on this issue if you know what i am talking about. Thanks so much and happy thanksgiving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFhopeful Rookie

i was tested for this by the GI doctor - it was a hydrogen breath test and it is an easy but several hours long procedure. you just have to drink a fructose mixture and then breathe into this device over a period of several hours. mine came back negative, along with everything else, so I'm in a state of waiting and still being gluten/dairy free until I feel better. but I know that people do react to fructose and it can be checked out for you. good luck.

mtraezme Newbie

I'm in exactly the same boat. Make sure you're keeping a food diary to see which fruits have the most effect. For me, asparagus and honey have the same effect as gluten on me. Apples are similar. I brought it up with my doctor and he laughed in my face. Literally. :angry:

This pamphlet thing is kinda handy. It describes me to a T. You might find it useful as well.

Open Original Shared Link

Ezme

• 11 months later...
HD28Cat Newbie

I would love to know if you have gotten any more information as I have almost identical symptoms after eating and am also a male in my mid 30's. I get burning eyes, mood swing(usually a mild depression comes over me), irritable, very foggy headed, poor memory, and very tired. Symptoms always occur about 30 minutes after eating and last for a few hours. After several hours (can be anywhere from 1-5 hours) I am usually fine again. After being told for years it is all in my head I have become very frustrated and desperate to find the cause. Any info you have would be hugely appreciated.

Also, Do you have any gastrointestinal symptoms? I do not. I only have the symptoms listed above. Does this rule out fructose and/or gluten? In other words would there definately be gastrointestinal symptoms if it were due to fructose and/or gluten?

lastly, I am brand new to this board. If there is a better forum to post this particular issue in would someone please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Archived