Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glutenfreewife

Interested To Know....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, Anna, welcome aboard!

You posted elsewhere that you have already been told to go gluten-free due to gastro problems. That's your answer right there. I understand that you don't seem to feel any symptoms if you eat white bread occasionally, but based on what you've written, it sounds quite likely that you have problems with gluten.

This means that your immune system is not only reacting to the gluten by attacking the gluten; your immune system is also attacking YOU. Gluten is a common trigger for many, many autoimmune disorders. You might feel fine after eating one piece of white bread today, but inside, your immune system might be systematically destroying, say, your thyroid. You wouldn't feel any noticeable symptoms--today. But in time, whatever your body is attacking will fail.

Wouldn't it be better not to swallow what basically amounts to poison in the first place?

Here is a partial list of gluten-induced or gluten-exacerbated autoimmune disorders:

Graves' Disease

Hashimoto's thyroiditis

Lupus

MS

Rheumatoid arthritis

fibromyalgia

chronic fatigue syndrome

Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome

Most of us here think that Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome is just a misdiagnosis for celiac; fibromyalgia may very well fall into that category as well.

In addition, Lyme disease and mercury poisoning cause all kinds of problems, including gluten intolerance. They are discussed on other threads on this board.

There are many gluten-free breads available (some taste better/worse than others), and some really ridiculously easy and delicious gluten-free bread recipes floating around. You could get your bread fix without having your body attack itself.

There is an enormous amount of information here on this site, and on the parent site (celiac.com). All of us here started out as newbies at one point or another. Read as much as you can, ask whatever you want, and hopefully you'll soon be posting how much better you are feeling!

Join eNewsletter

Agreed.

And your rash could be biopsied perhaps for DH.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

I agree with the others--- you need to stay away from wheat & gluten. There could be a silent internal war going on within your body that you don't know about....you are putting yourself in a danger zone...PLEASE do not partake of the wheat & gluten.........

mamaw

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter