This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help On What To Do (today If Possible)

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

I have to make a gluten-free/cf/sf whip topping for our pumpkin pie this year. I found a recipe by Connie Sarros and made it but it didn't form at all! Here is the recipe and what I did. Any ideas on what went wrong? OR does anyone have a different recipe?

1tsp. unflavored gelatin

2 Tbsp. water

3/4 cup very cold coconut milk

1/4 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup sugar

Place mixing bowl and beater in the freezer for 1/2 hour. In a small, microwave safe bowl, stir together the gelatin and water. Place the bowl in the microwave fro 20 seconds to soften the gelatin; let it cool to room temperature. In the chilled mixing bowl, whip together the cold coconut milk, vanilla, and sugar. Very slowly, add the gelatin. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Use immeadiately.

Ok--- I did everything as the recipe states. However I noticed that when I went to add the gelatin (very slowly) to the bowl, it had begun setting and was a thick gel. So it wouldn't pour slowly into the bowl. I had to take a spoon and scoop small amounts of it out into the bowl and then mix. I know my coconut milk was cold enough because it had some ice crystals in it when I added it. No matter how long I mixed it on high speed, it was soupy. It never thickened. Any help is very much appreciated, because I am running out of time. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I haven't tried that kind of recipie but here's what my humble experience in the kitchen leads me to think.

Somehow the dissolving the gelatin part is what caused the problem I think. I'm thinking that the consistancy of the gelatin before it is added to the other ingredients is key. Maybe try dissolving it on the stovetop instead of the microwave. My measuring cups are a strong metal and I sometimes use them for small quantities. You could just do a trial run with the gelatin alone until you get it to the right consistancy. I'm just thinking that it would be easy to overheat it in the microwave or maybe try a lower power setting.

If all else fails, it might work to increase the water slightly,maybe 1 or 2 more Tb. and decrease the amount of coconut milk by the same. But I would try the other method first.

I'm assuming both you and Connie are using the standard American unflavored gelatin because asian unflavored gelatin is slighlty different.

Good luck! It sounds good. Let us know how it comes out.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

WILL BE WATCHING THIS THREAD.

HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP US.

JUDY I NEED THIS TOO

Mango04 Enthusiast

I made a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free whipped topping last week and it was goooood!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:)B)

Here's what I did:

Put a can (or two, or three) of coconut milk (full fat version) in fridge overnight

Next day, scrape the hardened stuff into a bowl

Add a couple spoonfuls of powdered sugar and a bit of vanilla extract

Mix with beaters for a few minutes

Add more sugar if you think it needs it, and mix some more

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh - ps - the coconut milk I used had a bit of guar gum in it. I think that might have helped.

Edit: I also just wanted to add....don't use the watery part of the coconut milk...

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
I haven't tried that kind of recipie but here's what my humble experience in the kitchen leads me to think.

Somehow the dissolving the gelatin part is what caused the problem I think. I'm thinking that the consistancy of the gelatin before it is added to the other ingredients is key. Maybe try dissolving it on the stovetop instead of the microwave. My measuring cups are a strong metal and I sometimes use them for small quantities. You could just do a trial run with the gelatin alone until you get it to the right consistancy. I'm just thinking that it would be easy to overheat it in the microwave or maybe try a lower power setting.

If all else fails, it might work to increase the water slightly,maybe 1 or 2 more Tb. and decrease the amount of coconut milk by the same. But I would try the other method first.

I'm assuming both you and Connie are using the standard American unflavored gelatin because asian unflavored gelatin is slighlty different.

Good luck! It sounds good. Let us know how it comes out.

Thank you! Yes , I have been wondering if the gelatin is the problem. I like your suggestions and I will try them. I also wonder if when I let the gelatin sit to cool to room temperature, I let it sit too long? Maybe if it had have been thinner it would have worked better?

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
I made a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free whipped topping last week and it was goooood!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:)B)

Here's what I did:

Put a can (or two, or three) of coconut milk (full fat version) in fridge overnight

Next day, scrape the hardened stuff into a bowl

Add a couple spoonfuls of powdered sugar and a bit of vanilla extract

Mix with beaters for a few minutes

Add more sugar if you think it needs it, and mix some more

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh - ps - the coconut oil I used had a bit of guar gum in it. I think that might have helped.

Edit: I also just wanted to add....don't use the watery part of the coconut milk...

Thanks for the recipe. I have a question though. You say that you used coconut oil with guar gum in it, but I didn't see coconut oil listed in your recipe? How much did you add? Thanks! :) If I can't get the gelatin recipe to work, I'll will probably try this one next.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Thanks for the recipe. I have a question though. You say that you used coconut oil with guar gum in it, but I didn't see coconut oil listed in your recipe? How much did you add? Thanks! :) If I can't get the gelatin recipe to work, I'll will probably try this one next.

Oh sorry. I meant to say coconut milk. It was a can of coconut milk...the ingredients were coconut and guar gum. I'll go back and edit that :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Oh sorry. I meant to say coconut milk. It was a can of coconut milk...the ingredients were coconut and guar gum. I'll go back and edit that :)

Thanks! I just checked my cans of coconut milk and they don't gave guar gum in them. I'll look for that when I go shopping today.

missy'smom Collaborator
I also wonder if when I let the gelatin sit to cool to room temperature, I let it sit too long? Maybe if it had have been thinner it would have worked better?

I was thinking that too.

isiskingdom Contributor

I found this recipe for topping.

1-14 oz can coconut milk, chilled overnight

2 T powdered sugar

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Chill a large mixing bowl and electric beaters in freezer for 20 minutes.

Carefully open the chilled can of coconut milk, spooning the cream from the top; avoid the thin liquid underneath.

Beat in the chilled bowl for several minutes to form peaks.

Add sugar and vanilla and continue to beat for an additional minute.

Voila!!!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I found this recipe for topping.

1-14 oz can coconut milk, chilled overnight

2 T powdered sugar

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Chill a large mixing bowl and electric beaters in freezer for 20 minutes.

Carefully open the chilled can of coconut milk, spooning the cream from the top; avoid the thin liquid underneath.

Beat in the chilled bowl for several minutes to form peaks.

Add sugar and vanilla and continue to beat for an additional minute.

Voila!!!

thank you so very much.

I assume that u do this at the last minute as it won't hold up the stiffness............

Is that correct?

again........thanks so much.

Mango04 Enthusiast
thank you so very much.

I assume that u do this at the last minute as it won't hold up the stiffness............

Is that correct?

again........thanks so much.

when I did mine (same recipe that isiskingdom posted) it stayed good in the fridge for a couple days...

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks so much for the info.

Of course I can't find the coconut milk.........4 stores........nada...........

hugs judy

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
thanks so much for the info.

Of course I can't find the coconut milk.........4 stores........nada...........

hugs judy

Have you tried looking in the ethnic foods sections? Our wal-mart carries it I believe in the same aisle as the mexican food. I'm getting ready to make mine. Hope it turns out. I will post the results later.

Mom23boys Contributor

I am wondering why they want you to heat the gelatin/water mix. I haven't made the recipe you are making but in my other similar recipes you do not heat that part of the recipe. In some applications there are other elements you heat but not the gelatin/water mix.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

Well....I made the recipe given without the gelatin. The texture was decent, but a little runny even after beating for 5 or more minutes. It looked like whip topping, just heavier. The family tasted it and the general consensus was that it needed more experimentation. The coconut flavor was pretty strong and for us was a bit of a distraction from the flavors in the pumpkin pie. My husband thought it needed more sugar in it. I don't know if I will use this again. I really don't know what else to try though that would be gluten-free/cf/sf. I think this topping would be great with fruit or some other flavor other than pumpkin pie. Incidentally, I did use coconut milk in my pie filling in place of condensed milk and that turned out wonderfully. Everybody LOVED the filling.

lorka150 Collaborator
WILL BE WATCHING THIS THREAD.

HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP US.

JUDY I NEED THIS TOO

Judy - if it's not too late, check my book

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

Lorka,

Do you have a book with another recipe? Thanks.

lorka150 Collaborator
Lorka,

Do you have a book with another recipe? Thanks.

Hi Sarah,

Yes, check out the link in the profile :)

Archived