Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texasgal56

Liver Biopsy

In June had routine blood work done, liver enzymes came back mildly elevated, also have been an iron deficient anemic for over 15 yrs, I'm now 51 yrs and a female. also have had an underactive thyroid for over 20 yrs. on meds for that. I had a repeat test done 1 week later, still the same, had an ultrasound done few weeks later, normal. I was sent to a GI doctor who did an upper GI due to the anemia also checked for Celiac. Negative biopsy. Told me to come back in 2 months and will repeat blood tests, probably just fatty liver. Dismissed Celiac, but since I've lived with gas, bloating, constipation and bloating for over 20 yrs, I went on gluten free diet. Feel so much better, went back to see GI doc, he refused to discuss possible celiac and now wants me to have liver biopsy to rule out autoimmune disease. I'm so confused. Any suggestions.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

In June had routine blood work done, liver enzymes came back mildly elevated, also have been an iron deficient anemic for over 15 yrs, I'm now 51 yrs and a female. also have had an underactive thyroid for over 20 yrs. on meds for that. I had a repeat test done 1 week later, still the same, had an ultrasound done few weeks later, normal. I was sent to a GI doctor who did an upper GI due to the anemia also checked for Celiac. Negative biopsy. Told me to come back in 2 months and will repeat blood tests, probably just fatty liver. Dismissed Celiac, but since I've lived with gas, bloating, constipation and bloating for over 20 yrs, I went on gluten free diet. Feel so much better, went back to see GI doc, he refused to discuss possible celiac and now wants me to have liver biopsy to rule out autoimmune disease. I'm so confused. Any suggestions.

You need a new celiac knowledgeable GI. A negative biopsy is not conclusive, only a positive one is. False negatives on both bloodwork and biopsy are common. Your response to the gluten free diet is the best test of whether it is needed. Elevated liver enzymes are common in us and usually resolve after a time on a strict gluten free diet. You should continue to monitor your enzyme levels with your GP but I would give myself some time to heal before doing anything else. Celiac can cause autoimmune destruction of the liver but once your body has cleared the antibody reaction the liver can repair. Do avoid alcohol, meds like Tylenol, keep well hydrated and stick to the diet. You haven't been gluten-free very long and it does take some time to heal.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter