Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joyous

I Need The Least Expensive And Most Effortless Possible Menu...

We are seriously a leftovers family. We cook big dinners (usually very easy ones too, something on the grill or crock pot) and make sure we make more for leftovers. It works very well.

Shifting from a don't-eat-then-splurge-going-out to a planning food in advance is really a mental shift. I ALWAYS used to just grab food and go whenever I felt like eating. It's expensive and not very healthy (I'm not gluten-free by the way, my daughter is).

Since my daughter was diagnosed, we have disciplined ourselves to prepare every meal. It's not as time consuming as you might think---ya just have to do it!

MEatloaf is easy and cheap, there are recipes that use rice. I like scrambled eggs with diced avocados and salsa, but you said eggs don't always agree with you. If you're doing raw eggs, put em in a blender with something sweet. Also, get those big containers of plain yogurt (cheaper) and add fruit like frozen cherries or sliced banana and add honey if you need it. Oh, applesauce works good in yogurt too. Crockpot dinners are great, the only time it takes is the time for chopping veggies and you can do that the night before. Roasts are easy if you get home early enough to put one in. I just cut little hole sin it and stick garlic pieces in there and sprinkle seasoning all over it and roast. Oh, chicken legs are cheaper than breast, just leave the skin on and put a crapload of salt, lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic, paprika, parsley, whatever seasoning you like on the top, and bake at 375 for 45 min or however long til it's brown inside. Cook time depends on how much you make. Sauteed yellow squash slices in butter are my fave.