Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happyslob

Cooking Tinkyada Rice Pasta (spaghetti)

Hi everyone,

Last night, for the very first time, I tried cooking rice pasta! It was a bag of Tinkyada brown rice spaghetti. I was pretty pleased with the results, because I've heard some horror stories about some rice pastas being REALLY bad. (Mushy, etc.)

I had only two problems I was hoping you guys could help me with:

* How long to cook the pasta? I did the 'Energy Saving' method, and boiled the water, added the pasta, let it cook in the boiling water for 2 minutes and then shut off the heat and put a lid on the pot. I let it sit there for 20 minutes, but I found the pasta was overcooked by then. How long do you cook it for? Would 15 mins do the trick?

* How can I get it to have a less slimy texture? I rinsed it off a bit with hot water, but not thoroughly. Is that the trick? Should I also let it sit out to dry a little before serving?

The taste and texture otherwise was very good, and I was thrilled!

Thanks for the help!

Take care,

Christina

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use Tinkyada all the time and cook it like I am cooking regular pasta and keep stiring and checking it. Also when rinsing it use cold water, that takes the sliminess off. I am from an Italian background and love pasta. If it were up to me I could eat pasta everyday. So many different things to make and it all is so good. Makes me think I am making soup with the fettucini noodles. Good luck with future cookings.

Lisa

Mom of four boys

Nana to three granddaughters

Diagnosed with Celiac January 2006 after positive biopsy and follow up with positive blood tests

Diagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome March 2006 after ruling out so many other things

Vitamin B12 deficiency October 2006

Oldest son diagnosed Celiac June 2006 also diagnosed type one diabetic November 2002

Join eNewsletter

Hi, I only cook with Tinkyada as well. I have found that you always have to take 2 minutes off of the cooking time. I cook it like regular pasta (boil water then boil pasta for suggested time). They suggest 15 minutes and I cook it for 13. It always come good. I agree with the cold water removes the slime.

Nicole

Join eNewsletter

Tinkyada is the only rice pasta I eat...I just boil them and keep sampling, but usually those suggestions on the packages are pretty close. And rinse them in cold water like someone has already said. I eat them so often I don't follow any directly at all.

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

Join eNewsletter

Thank you so much you guys! I guess I hadn't read the package carefully enough - thought rinsing with a bit of hot water would do the trick, but I did find it slimy. And I definitely DID overcook the pasta. :) Can't wait to try again, since I love pasta too!

Take care all,

Christina

Join eNewsletter

I always cook it less than it says. If it says 15, I set the timer for 13 and then check it. At this point I may have to cook it another minute, but usually not. I tell by plucking out a piece, running it under cold water and tasting it.

I never run my pasta under cold water unless I am making pasta salad. I just drain it really well. I have a Rachel Ray's oval pasta pot. With this, it's easy to drain most of the water off from the start. Then I use one of those tools for draining pasta, or for the smaller shapes, a big slotted spoon.

Join eNewsletter

Hey all,

I tried it again, and this time I did drain the pasta really well in cold water and then again in hot water to, well, heat it up! hehe And, as you all suggested - 13 minutes seems like the perfect amount of time to get pasta al dente. It was really wonderful!

Take care,

Christina

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter