Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kimw/4

gluten-free Dressing Made Me Sick?

I'm not sure why I had a reaction to my gluten-free dressing on Thanksgiving.

It's the same reaction I get when I have gluten.

I used gluten-free pantry bread mix in a new bread machine.

The other ingedients were butter, celery, onion, thyme, pepper, salt, sage and chicken broth.

For some reason, I feel like the sage made my stomach burn. Is there any contamination between herbs and gluten? I was feeling better today and tried the dressing again and I got the stomach burning crampy feeling again.

I'm stumped but maybe there's a real obvious answer.

Thanks.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm not sure why I had a reaction to my gluten-free dressing on Thanksgiving.

It's the same reaction I get when I have gluten.

I used gluten-free pantry bread mix in a new bread machine.

The other ingedients were butter, celery, onion, thyme, pepper, salt, sage and chicken broth.

For some reason, I feel like the sage made my stomach burn. Is there any contamination between herbs and gluten? I was feeling better today and tried the dressing again and I got the stomach burning crampy feeling again.

I'm stumped but maybe there's a real obvious answer.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome! :)

A couple things come to mind about the stuffing--are you sure that the chicken broth was gluten-free? Also, did you chop the veggies on a cutting board that was used for gluten breads previously? Possibly the pan (s) you used were contaminated--a scratched teflon?

Could there have been something else that you ate that may have caused the reaction? With holidays, especially, there is usually a fair amount of cross contamination possible if there are gluten containing dishes being prepared and served.

As far as the herbs--most plain herbs are gluten-free. You do need to read labels and if necessary, call the manufacturer. McCormicks is a company that will always list any gluten on the container--their spices and extracts are all I use. Also, if you used the herb while you were still eating gluten, you may have dipped a contaminated spoon into the container.

Hope you feel better soon!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I had a reaction similar to glutening when I used my new teflon coated waffle iron for the first time. After that-no problem.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I would go with the following thought's.....

The chicken broth, doublecheck or triplecheck the label

Pan used for mixing the ingredients, possible CC'ed that way? (my "old" wooden rolling pin got me one day seems the longer I go without the more sensitive to it I get)

Hope you feel better soon!

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

Was the dressing a gluten free specialty dressing or was it a mainstream dressing that is considered gluten free because 'celiacs don't react to distilled vinager'. You could be one of us who reacts to distilled grain no matter what the 'experts' say. There are not a lot of us out there but we do exist, both my DS and I react to distilled gluten grains but my DH and DD don't so I think it is part of the genetic soup we got. If it was a for sure gluten-free dressing using wine or pure apple cider vinegar then I would take a good look at the broth that is in the dressing or CC issues.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

DITTO ALL THE GOOD IDEAS AS THE 'WHY'

QUESTION.........

WHEN COOKING OUR STUFFING.........

JIM'S WAS WITH GLUTEN.......MINE WITHOUT.

BOTH OVERED FOR FIRST 1/2 THEN THE COVERS COME OFF FOR 1/2

NOW........... :blink: EVEN THO THEY WERE FALL APART IN THE OVEN..............

I DIDN'T GET SICK..........BUT.............. :o

IF THERE IS NO CC CAN YOU STILL COOK THEM AT THE SAME TIME IN THE SAME OVEN........?

OI, i THINK I ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER............DO SEPARATLY..........AND COOK MINE .......THEN TAKE AND NUKE AT THE LAST MINUTE..............BUT JUST WONDERING WITH THE OVENS SO STUFFED FOR THIS MEAL.....................WHAT DO YOU EXPERTS THINK :rolleyes:

ALSO ANOTHER TIP FOR COOKING..........I DIDN'T THE MASHED POTATOES IN THE AM....COOKED/MASHED AND COVERED AND PUT INTO THE REFRIG.........AND THEN 5 MIN NUKED BEFORE DINNER ........OUR KITCHEN IS SO SMALL.......JIM AND I CAN'T BE MULTI TASKING IN THE SAME SPACE..............

HUGS

JUDY

Judy in Southern CA

Join eNewsletter

Yeah, my thoughts turned to the broth too. If it's gluten free, perhaps there was MSG. I know Swanson chicken broth has MSG in it & we had to stop using it for that reason...my husband gets headaches & feels bad when he eats MSG.

never dx Celiac

dx IBS whole life

gluten free 9/12/07

husband:

blood test results negative

dx psoriatic arthritis 2005

psoriasis since childhood

gluten free 9/14/07

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter