Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missy'smom

Soy Milk

Has anyone successfully frozen soymilk and then thawed and used it?

Have you used it to make cream sauces and in cream soups? I found one that is fairly neutral in flavor.

When you sub for buttermilk what do you use o make it CF? Same amount of soy, almond or ricemilk even though it's thinner. I'd like to use it in scones that call for buttermilk.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Has anyone successfully frozen soymilk and then thawed and used it?

Have you used it to make cream sauces and in cream soups? I found one that is fairly neutral in flavor.

When you sub for buttermilk what do you use o make it CF? Same amount of soy, almond or ricemilk even though it's thinner. I'd like to use it in scones that call for buttermilk.

What I read in a student cookbook was that milk was added to a recipe for (1) liquid (2) fat. If I were subbing for butter milk I would use the same amount of liquid and add a little extra fat (butter, oil) for the texture that it gives.

More often then not if a baking recipe calls for milk, I will use water since its primary purpose is its liquid qualities and I don't need the extra fat. (I have subbed fruit juices in cakes with great results - my family loves orange juice in white cake - I made an upside down cake with my gluten-free mix and used the pineapple juice)

If I am cooking on the stove top, I will sub soy full strength for cream, about 1/2 soy and 1/2 water for whole milk and work the way down for % milks

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter