Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fiddle-Faddle

Would It Be Possible To Have A Prayer Section?

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a section just for people to request prayers? And people could sign up for automatic email alerts, so that if someone posts with a real emergency, everyone who signs up would be immediately notified (or as soon as the topic is pinned).

That way they could send their prayers, positive energy, hugs, etc., ASAP.

I thought of this because "confused's" BIL had an emergency yesterday, she posted a plea for prayers, but her BIL passed away. I didn't even see the thread until it was too late. Not that I think that my prayers would necessarily kept her BIL alive (though you never know!)--but at the very least, they could have helped her and her family.

Thanks....

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a section just for people to request prayers? And people could sign up for automatic email alerts, so that if someone posts with a real emergency, everyone who signs up would be immediately notified (or as soon as the topic is pinned).

That way they could send their prayers, positive energy, hugs, etc., ASAP.

I thought of this because "confused's" BIL had an emergency yesterday, she posted a plea for prayers, but her BIL passed away. I didn't even see the thread until it was too late. Not that I think that my prayers would necessarily kept her BIL alive (though you never know!)--but at the very least, they could have helped her and her family.

Thanks....

I think that is a great idea, perhaps we will see one soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I like this idea, too.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

I'm all for it, too!

joyful

Gluten free since 11/13/07

Change blows through your life like a tornado, uprooting everything. Creating chaos. You wait for the dust to settle and then you choose. You can live in the wreckage and pretend it's still the mansion you remember. Or you can crawl from the rubble and slowly rebuild.

(slightly edited quote from Veronica Mars)

Join eNewsletter

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry but we already have a special section where you are free to start such threads:

Gab/Chat Room - To Discuss Anything BUT Celiac Disease / Gluten-Free Diet

Feel free to start any thread you like in there--but please avoid controversial topics like: "does prayer for the sick really help?" :)

Take care,

Scott

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

I think a Members in Need section would be great...you could ask for prayers, hugs, good wishes, positive energy.....whatever you need.

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry but we already have a special section where you are free to start such threads:

Gab/Chat Room - To Discuss Anything BUT Celiac Disease / Gluten-Free Diet

Feel free to start any thread you like in there--but please avoid controversial topics like: "does prayer for the sick really help?" :)

Take care,

Scott

Umm, Scott, I think you may have misunderstood my point.

I am aware that we are free to start such threads. As I stated in my first post, confused DID start such a thread--but since I don't have time to constantly scan the Gab/Chat room, I didn't see her post until after her BIL passed away. It might have made a big difference to her emotionally if I and others could have added some support immediately--which was what she was begging for.

I think Mtndg has the best suggestion: a Members in Need section, where those of us who wish to could sign up for email notification of each new thread. This also might be very important to people who need celiac-savvy medical information ASAP to bring to clueless doctors before harm is done.

Would you please consider starting such a section?

Join eNewsletter

As far as I know, it's possible to get email alerts to a thread, isn't it? So if you start a thread with the title you want, everyone who wants can subscribe to email alerts to that particular thread, and it can still be housed inside the chat forum. Just like the OMG thread has gotten a life of its own, kinda.

Pauliina

Join eNewsletter

I think that what Fiddle-Faddle was getting at is that you can "subscribe" to a forum on this site, and you will be notified by email if a new topic is started in that forum. Subscribing to the Gab/Chat Room will get you notifications about a lot of topics which have nothing to do with members in need.

Once a thread is started, you can subscribe to it, but the request is directed to new threads about urgent need for support, not necessarily related to celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

I can also see Scott's point of view. An area set apart distinctly for prayer requests could cause concern for some, and could cause revival of some old debates about religion that saw some members banned. The question of "does prayer for the sick work?" leads directly to the controversial question "Is there really a God, and does He really care?"

Let's not go there again.

My view. Yours may vary.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

I think that what Fiddle-Faddle was getting at is that you can "subscribe" to a forum on this site, and you will be notified by email if a new topic is started in that forum. Subscribing to the Gab/Chat Room will get you notifications about a lot of topics which have nothing to do with members in need.

Once a thread is started, you can subscribe to it, but the request is directed to new threads about urgent need for support, not necessarily related to celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

I can also see Scott's point of view. An area set apart distinctly for prayer requests could cause concern for some, and could cause revival of some old debates about religion that saw some members banned. The question of "does prayer for the sick work?" leads directly to the controversial question "Is there really a God, and does He really care?"

Let's not go there again.

My view. Yours may vary.

Thanks, Peter, for putting into better words.

I repeat--mtndg's idea of a "members in need" section is the best--that doesn't limit it to prayers, or even anything religious, but people who seriously need support of any kind--prayers, positive energy, cyber-hugs, research for serious health issues (like when mamaw was in the hospital, if anybody remembers), etc--can get it ASAP without having to wade through gab and chat, and without having to wait for their thread to be pinned and seen.

Join eNewsletter

Why not just start a prayer thread in the Gab/Chat forum? Anyone who is in need can post in that thread and anyone who chooses can subscribe to that particular thread.

Another smaller board which I frequently post on has a thread specifically for prayers. The board does not have seperate forums so the thread is on the main page as long as people are posting in it.

At one time the thread was removed by moderators for the same reasons Scott has mentioned....and I think his concerns are valid given what we've seen here in the past with regards to religion.

Anyways, the "prayer thread" was brought back since many members felt it was needed...as far as I know there have not been any problems with it.

I dont think it matters if the thread is located in gab/chat....it would still serve the same purpose and you would still be made aware of new postings on the thread as long as you subscribe to it.

This also would allow the poster to get their request through without having to wait for their topic to be pinned.

Rachel

Join eNewsletter

Im sorry i didnt even think of asking for prayers would be contoversial, so im sorry for doing that. I sometimes forget that not everyone prays. And i wasnt aware of the problems that arrived from the past talking about prayers or religbion. So I hope no one is upset with me for asking. If i need to edit my post asking for prayers i will gladly do so. I dont want to cause problems on this board. I have enough going on and dont want to make anyone mad at me on this forum.

But thank you for everyone that kept me in their thoughts and prayers during this so difficult time in my life. I will always be grateful to those that cared.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

Im sorry i didnt even think of asking for prayers would be contoversial, so im sorry for doing that. I sometimes forget that not everyone prays. And i wasnt aware of the problems that arrived from the past talking about prayers or religbion. So I hope no one is upset with me for asking. If i need to edit my post asking for prayers i will gladly do so. I dont want to cause problems on this board. I have enough going on and dont want to make anyone mad at me on this forum.

But thank you for everyone that kept me in their thoughts and prayers during this so difficult time in my life. I will always be grateful to those that cared.

paula

Paula,

One persons prayer is another's good wishes and thoughts. I am sure that all of us wish for you peace of mind for this difficult time for you and your family. Not to worry about this tread ;)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Paula,

I can assure you that no one is upset with you for anything :)

You have so much on your plate, please don't give it another thought. Many people have asked for prayers and good thoughts--myself included.

Please take care, a lot of people are sending positive thoughts your way.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Im sorry i didnt even think of asking for prayers would be contoversial, so im sorry for doing that.

Paula,

I am one of the non-religious types on this forum and have no problem with you, or anyone, asking for prayers. I interpret it as "good energy", which I am more than happy to direct your way.

I also have no issues with a 'prayer thread', but a whole forum, I think, is not appropriate.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Join eNewsletter

Paula- You shouldn't feel bad at all- I agree with MommaGoose, that prayer is the same to some people as asking for help, hope, hugs, good wishes. Not to worry!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

As mentioned, feel free to start a "Members In Need" thread here in the Gab/Chat area and subscribe to updates for it--you will get any posts to that thread via email...no need for a special forum for this as there is already an area here where this would fit in perfectly.

Take care,

Scott

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

Why not just start a prayer thread in the Gab/Chat forum? Anyone who is in need can post in that thread and anyone who chooses can subscribe to that particular thread.

This also would allow the poster to get their request through without having to wait for their topic to be pinned.

Good idea.

It's not a problem asking for prayers, thoughts....whatever a person believes in. The controversy comes from people not accepting other's viewpoints and beliefs.

No one is mad at you.

As mentioned, feel free to start a "Members In Need" thread here in the Gab/Chat area and subscribe to updates for it--you will get any posts to that thread via email...no need for a special forum for this as there is already an area here where this would fit in perfectly.

I'll go ahead and start a topic called Members in Need.

Thanks Scott. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter