Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seattlemama

After Going gluten-free Then If You Got Glutened Can It Feel Really Bad

yesterday I started feeling a little like I had been glutened. then i made some gluten-free cookies as an experiment and had two. then i had some leftovers for dinner (turkey - not made by me) and I'm thinking it was the turkey. anyway, i was starting to feel a little worse. this was about 6 PM. By 10 PM i felt like i was going to vomit and have diarrhea and my tummy was so bloated. by 11 PM i had done both. my tummy finally settled and i sorta fell asleep on and off for the rest of the night. i haven't had any more vomiting but just a little diarrhea. doesn't really feel like a virus, but i don't know.

my question is if you get glutened since going off gluten, can your "attacks" be worse than you ever experienced before going gluten-free? I never had this reaction to gluten before i went gluten-free. just stomach aches, cramping, gas, etc.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It has been my experience that my reactions to gluten get more severe the longer I am gluten-free. It has also been true for my son as well. He was asymptomatic when he was diagnosed. Now when he gets exposed to gluten, his reaction is swift and terrible.

Kinda seems unfair, doesn't it? The harder we try to be gluten-free, the worse the reaction to gluten gets. It really gives one a powerful incentive to remain totally gluten-free. ;)

Hope you feel better.

PS - When I am feeling poorly, I often immediately attribute it to gluten, when it may not be related at all. It is possible you just came down with a bug. A few confirmed glutenings should help you figure out exactly what your reactions are going to be so you can see the pattern of symptoms. Getting gluten happens to the best of us sometimes - even if we make superhuman effort to stay away from it.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Seattle Mama,

Yes, after going gluten free my reactions to even a small amount were extreme - worse than when I was on gluten all day, every day. Now after being gluten free for 9 months, I get a reaction but I don't get as sick. This is probably an individual thing, but perhaps the healing helps.

P.S. Both Colleen (Cruelshoes) and I are from Washington State too. Welcome to the forum!

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

I think it depends on the person. I'm one of the lucky ones whose reactions have decreased since going gluten-free. I have a hard time knowing if I got glutened or if I just have a bit of an upset stomach.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Since going glutenfree, what I have noticed is my non-stomach and non-GI symptoms essentially have disappeared even after I have accidently glutened myself. So although my migraines, rashes, hand and finger tingling and numbing, brain fog, dizziness have gone away - what is WORSE THAN EVER when eating the tiniest speak of gluten is stomach cramps, bloating, and the big dreaded D. In fact those were my more minor symptoms before going glutenfree - now they are my worst.

On your other question - Turkey! Bad Turkey! There are many turkeys injected with all kinds of crap - including lots of fillers which have GLUTEN. Fortunately, many of the brands pride themselves on being preservative and gluten free - you just need to read those darn labels or read some of the historical notes on Turkey on this forum and others. This website was invaluable when I picked out my turkey this year.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

RiverGirl

Join eNewsletter

^_^ My son (now 2, gluten free for 8 months now), has reacted three times now like he got "glutened".

This was, of course, a major fear for me as it was such a mess prior to finally having a Celiac diagnosis and not knowing what was making my son so ill.

Each time he has had such bad bouts I couldn't believe it as I have eliminated all traces of gluten in our home and have been so careful!

Each time, the only common denominator was turkey, once made my me, and twice at a Whole Foods deli.

As my son is dairy free as well, I was carefull that the turkey had no traces of butter, I could not varify the Whole Foods turkey.

Each time he got sick, I had it in the back of my mind "I wonder if it was the turkey?... no, couldn't be, that's weird."

Well, it seems the only connection.

Can't explain it, all I know is my son was SICK! He even woke up in the middle of the night to tell me his tummy hurt. I must have heard that every hour, and again after each time he ate.

I won't blame the turkey for certain, but I won't soon be giving it to him again.

???

Join eNewsletter

I think that for me it is because I feel so much better since going gluten free that the symptoms are much more noticeable in comparison.

That said, I do feel that I am more sensitive now.

DITTO!

Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"

"blood work show's a disease called celiac,

but it can't be that because it's rare!"

Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac

offering support, my

experience and advice

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter