Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crittermom

Test Results Are In

Hi all

Well all of Michael's test results were negative. The doctor put him on an antibiotic called Flagil for a bacterial overgrowth in the gut (just in case) and put him back on Prevacid 15 mg for 2 months. Michael had pretty bad silent reflux and dairy and soy allergies as an infant until about 22 months, she wants to see if maybe the reflux is acting up again and making him uncomfortable, cranky, and it can also affect bm's. She is also having us go back to the allergist on Tuesday to have him rechecked for allergies. Right now he has only been on the prevacid for a few days, it takes 2 weeks to get to theraputic levels in the system. I haven't seen much change in him as of yet. She wants us to stay on gluten for another 2 months and have him retested and reevaluated to see if the symptoms persist through the prevacid.

Iguess we wait and hope the prevacid helps and if the tests are negative in 2 months and he is still like this we will make our decision where to go then. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

Melissa

Diagnosed Fibromyalgia March 2007

Mom to Katharine, 5 years old diagnosed Celiac Disease Sept 2006

Peanut allergy

Michael 3 years old diagnosed infant reflux at 6 weeks

Dairy Soy allergy until 22 months

Neg blood tests and biopsy Feb 2008

Positive gluten-free dietary response

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.

Margaret Thatcher

Fall down seven times stand up eight.

"I've decided that after air, water, and dirt, the next most common substance on the planet must be gluten!"

Toni Nolte, Overland Park, Kansas

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

First off all congrats to the results, I guess the only bad thing aobut is that you have to start from scratch and still got no answer or solution! Well, either way with the resuklts, if in two month on the gluten with the meds there is no improvement you should maybestill try him for a longer while on glutenfree again, if he reacts positive to it then you got your answer. Bloodtests and what not are not the answer to everything, having a celiac in the familily just makes him naturally prone to be sensitive. There is such a thing as NCGS which is Non-Celiac-Gluten-Sensitivity, he could be one of them. If after all this he gets better again on glutenfree you have your answer and know what to do! Good luck!

Hi all

Well all of Michael's test results were negative. The doctor put him on an antibiotic called Flagil for a bacterial overgrowth in the gut (just in case) and put him back on Prevacid 15 mg for 2 months. Michael had pretty bad silent reflux and dairy and soy allergies as an infant until about 22 months, she wants to see if maybe the reflux is acting up again and making him uncomfortable, cranky, and it can also affect bm's. She is also having us go back to the allergist on Tuesday to have him rechecked for allergies. Right now he has only been on the prevacid for a few days, it takes 2 weeks to get to theraputic levels in the system. I haven't seen much change in him as of yet. She wants us to stay on gluten for another 2 months and have him retested and reevaluated to see if the symptoms persist through the prevacid.

Iguess we wait and hope the prevacid helps and if the tests are negative in 2 months and he is still like this we will make our decision where to go then. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

Susi with Shayden and Brandy

Shayden, pos. with DQ 2, pos. for Glutensensitivity with Tissuetransglutaminase Stool TgA 45 Units

Brandy, pos. with DQ2 + DQ8, DX Celiac Nov.07, gluten-free since Nov. 1st 07, Tissuetransglutaminase Stool TgA 63 Units

Me: Gastroscopy negative f. Celiac, IBS, Oesophagitis, Hiatus-Hernia

Join eNewsletter

Bloodtests and what not are not the answer to everything, having a celiac in the familily just makes him naturally prone to be sensitive. There is such a thing as NCGS which is Non-Celiac-Gluten-Sensitivity, he could be one of them. If after all this he gets better again on glutenfree you have your answer and know what to do! Good luck!

I have to agree with this one. My mother has had reflux/IBS for over a decade (going on 14 years now). She's been tested for celiac and allergies multiple times (both via blood and biopsy), has gone through all sorts of allergy treatments and has been prescribed each and every reflux med on the market. No great luck.

She's been toying with the gluten-free diet for two years now and it helps her immensely. However, she also seems to have problems with beans, dairy and tomatoes...which would require a bit more commitment on her part. I find it sad that she won't commit to the diet completely in light of the improvements she has experienced. But when asked, her response is, "I don't have celiac disease! All of my tests have been negative." Meanwhile, each and every time she overdoes it on her diet and begins to feel awful, she's right back to watching her gluten intake.

The point to this? ALWAYS trust your own instincts and observations. Never rely solely on test results. Test results can be a wonderful guide....but they are not infallible.

Vicky

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter