Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emily Elizabeth

Zucchini Bread Recipe - Wow!

This is the type of bread that comes out of the oven and you eat 6 pieces because you just can't believe how good it is (speaking from personal experience ;) ). The top is flakey and very thin and the inside is very moist. I got this recipe from "Nearly Normal Cooking for Gluten-Free Eating" by Jules E. D. Shepard and modified the flours and added applesauce for part of the oil to cut down on the fat. I can't wait to try more recipes from this book!

Zucchini Bread

view picture

3 eggs

2 cups sugar

1/4 cup canola oil

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups cornstarch

3/4 cup rice flour

3/4 cup tapioca flour

1 tablespoon xanthan gum

1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups fresh zucchini, grated

1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

24 servings

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the eggs until foamy, adding sugar, oil, and applesauce (use wire whip attachment for mixer). In a separate bowl, mix the dry in ingredients and then add them to the egg mixture (switch to the flat beater or dough hook attachment) and beat in electric mixer for about 3 minutes or until batter is mixed well and becomes very thick. Add nuts.

If baking as a loaf, grease two large loaf pans and fill each 1/2 full (I used a nonstick and a glass loaf pan and I think I like the nonstick results slightly better). Bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes, testing to be sure the middle is cooked through. If your oven cooks the tops of these loaves too quickly, cover with aluminum foil to prevent burning (after about 25-35 minutes). If you want to use this as a breakfast bread, you can sprinkle the tops with Confectioner's sugar.

If baking as muffins, grease and 1/2 fill 24 muffin tins. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, testing to be sure the middle is cooked through.

I cooked mine for the full 1 hour 10 minutes and it smelled kind of like it was burning, so I was worried, but it came out perfect. I posted the recipe on recipezaar, so I'll find out the nutritional content soon. I'm hoping it's at least decent. :)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sounds delicious I can't wait to try it. I will have to sub sorgum flour for the rice flour. Thanks for posting this.

Yellow Rose

27 years of misdiognoses

seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet

rheumatoid arthritis May 1980

wrist joint replacement Jan 1984

fibromyalgia May 1980

insomnia since the 80's

diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds

Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea

Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:

depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.

Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive

Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Join eNewsletter

One of my husband's co-workers gave him 2 zucchinis and I was just going to substitute the flour with Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose. BUT, I found this recipe and it is true!!! This bread is awesome!!! Better than gluten version, IMHO. My husband loves it and so do I. I am limiting myself to no more than one piece a day. It does not have the gritty taste that my baking does when using BRM. Thanks for this recipe!!!!

Robin from Indiana

Join eNewsletter

Sounds delicious! It reminded me of when I used to make zucchini bread with those zucchinis that get to big and you don't know what to do with them. And also the zucchini brownies I used to make. I need to get out that old recipe and convert it to gluten free, it should be easy. Thanks!

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Join eNewsletter

This recipe was yummy. Instead of 2 loaves, I made one loaf, 6 muffins, and 24 mini muffins. It is more bread like (rather than cake-like) than I've made before, but it was very tasty. Thanks!

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Join eNewsletter

mmm I wish I had zucchini! sounds YUM! :)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

I just noticed that this recipe for zucchini bread has no salt added to it. Has anyone made this and found the taste to be somewhat flat due to the lack of salt? Just curious. Otherwise the recipe sounds really good.

Sylvia

Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009

Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010

Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter