Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sarah8793

Son Is Waking Up At 3 A.m With Stomach Pain

Three times now my son has woke up around 3:30 a.m. saying that his tummy really hurts (he is nine years old). If he takes a bath he feels a lot better. Two of the times he has had diarrhea starting at 5:00 a.m and lasting until about 7:00 a.m. The three times have all been on weekends, so this has happened over the last three weeks. I can't think of anything new that has been added to his diet. Before he went gluten and dairy free, he didn't have digestive symptoms. I had him tested through EnteroLab, after I was tested through them. The only thing that I can think of and this really seems to be a long shot is that on those days he has had some ingredients for breakfast that don't have milk in the ingredients but do cause a lactose reaction in me. The reason I think it is a long shot is, usually lactose pain doesn't show up 15 hours later (or casein for that matter), AND he has never been digestively sensitive to milk. I wondered if it is an anxiety or stress issue, so I talked to him about this and this doesn't appear to be the problem. Any thoughts? Oh, last night is the first time that he said his stomach wasn't feeling right when he went to bed but it wasn't hurting bad. So if this is coming to a head at 3:30 a.m., should I be looking at dinner? or what? So confused by this.

Thanks!

Don't be afraid to reach for the moon. The worst that can happen is you'll miss and land among the stars.

Positive blood work

2 negative biopsies over 4 year period

Postive EnteroLab results

Lactose/Casein Intolerant

Gluten free since May 2006

Soy free since May 2007

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Forgot to add: Sometimes he has some gas and burping during these times.

Don't be afraid to reach for the moon. The worst that can happen is you'll miss and land among the stars.

Positive blood work

2 negative biopsies over 4 year period

Postive EnteroLab results

Lactose/Casein Intolerant

Gluten free since May 2006

Soy free since May 2007

Join eNewsletter

If it only is happening on the weekends, there HAS to be something different going on on the weekends.

Do you eat out on Friday nights?

Does he have art class at school on Fridays? Or an after-school program/extracurricular activity? Visit friends on Friday/ the weekend?

What does he typically eat on the weekends?

The reaction times can vary SO much. My son typically reacts 12-24 hours after getting glutened. For myself, I've noted that I react to wheat very quickly- maybe 2 hours. I react to barley much slower- about 24 hours after ingesting it.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter