Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missy'smom

Pleases Help Me With This Recipie

It calls for oats and "quinoa or rice flakes". Does this mean quinoa or quinoa flakes? I have only quinoa. Can I process them to make flakes? What about rinsing them to remove the bitterness?

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It calls for oats and "quinoa or rice flakes". Does this mean quinoa or quinoa flakes?

It means "quinoa flakes" or "rice flakes". Rice flakes is also known as poha. I have never been able to make poha work very well in cooking, so I would stick with quinoa flakes or certified gluten-free oats if you can.

I have only quinoa. Can I process them to make flakes? What about rinsing them to remove the bitterness?

Quinoa flakes are steamed, rolled, and flaked quinoa. If you were to run quinoa through your blender or food processor (pre-rinsed or not), I would think you would end up with flour.

I hope you find something that works for your recipe.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

That clears it up. Thank you. Maybe I'll just buy the flakes.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter