This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

gluten-free Hand Lotion For Extremely Dry Skin - Any Recommendations?

cruelshoes

cruelshoes Enthusiast

My hands are extremely dry. The skin on my knuckles is even starting to split and bleed. I have been using all the normal lotions I have, but none of them are helping. My mom always gives me silicone glove from Avon for Christmas, so I have a crapload of that, but I haven't checked its gluten-free status so I am not using it.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a good hand lotion for extremely dry skin that is gluten-free? I wash my hands probably 30 times a day what with preparing food, using the washroom, changing diapers, etc. But they have never gotten this bad before.

Any help will be apreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

I use Burt's Bees hand salve. Its gluten free, smells good, and it works really well. I apply heavily every night after putting the kids to bed. Its greasy, so I always make sure I don't have to do anything in the next ten minutes or so after application. Its so worth it though. I don't have to use any lotion the rest of the day and I always have really dry hands and they used to crack and bleed really badly. Hope that helps.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Pure cocoa butter. Pure jojoba oil is good too...or coconut oil.

num1habsfan Rising Star

I use Cliniderm.

~ Lisa ~

tarnalberry Community Regular

I use either the burt's bees hand salve, or shikai dry skin therapy.

Lisa Mentor

Plain old Vaseline (or petroleum jelly) works very well and cheap as heck.

Cath4k Apprentice

Gloves in a Bottle. It should be subtitled "Miracle in a Bottle."

Open Original Shared Link

HTH,

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

My hands crack open and bleed too! I use olive oil. I keep a open pour bottle by the sink. Several times a day I add a few drops of olive oil after washing my hands (seems to work best with wet skin). That fixes the open bleeding problems pretty quickly!

alamaz Collaborator

i have to second the 100% pure cocoa butter. i recently found it at my HFS to rub on my expanding pregnant belly but the most benefit i've seen so far is how soft my hands are. it comes in a round tub and is hard so i warm it in the microwave to get a oil (butter) and it's very smooth and not greasy at all!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I just discovered a wonderful new line of stuff....a small company in S. Carolina. FABULOUS customer service. The Gator Hydrator in Vanilla Jasmine is just about the yummiest stuff ever and works really well on my CRACKED hands and feet.

check this out:

www.bodymoose.com

I also love the silky oil spray and creme caressant. good stuff!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream. We use it for EVERYTHING--chapped lips, eczema, cracked hands etc... A little goes a LONG way and it lasts thru a few hand washings (I need that working in a hospital and taking care of little ones!)

Aquaphore is another good one.

• 3 years later...
SJP Newbie

My hands are extremely dry. The skin on my knuckles is even starting to split and bleed. I have been using all the normal lotions I have, but none of them are helping. My mom always gives me silicone glove from Avon for Christmas, so I have a crapload of that, but I haven't checked its gluten-free status so I am not using it.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a good hand lotion for extremely dry skin that is gluten-free? I wash my hands probably 30 times a day what with preparing food, using the washroom, changing diapers, etc. But they have never gotten this bad before.

Any help will be apreciated.

I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands, which is scentless and non-greasy as well as being gluten-free. It's great stuff - doesn't wash off as easily as most lotions - and is intended specifically for hands that crack and split, according to the package. Mine don't, but it's the best hand cream I've ever found, and members of my family who aren't celiacs agree. You can sometimes find it in hardware stores (I'm told most Ace hardware stores seem to have it), though if you live as far from civilization as I do, you'll have to buy it online.

Archived