This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Have A Nutrimill?

holiday16

holiday16 Enthusiast

Authentic foods superfine brown rice flour? I really want to order one, but have not been able to find anyplace to order it from that will let me return it if it's been used. If it turned out to not work for this it would be an expensive mistake so I'm really hoping someone here can help.

I have a mill already, but it doesn't grind fine enough. Grinds brown rice good enough for making pizza, but not for baking. I even looked into ordering wholesale from Authentic Foods, but even that is still really expensive mostly because of the shipping. I've found a far east store that has all the other flours I use cheap, but none of them have the brown rice flour. I'm thinking that as much as I bake this mill will be worth it in the long run as long as it works well for brown rice!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MNBeth Explorer

This is my question, too. I milled wheat for years before having to go gluten-free recently. I've packed up my old WhisperMill to give away, but the price of brown rice flour makes me want to replace it ASAP. I want to be sure the flour will be fine enough, though.

HiDee Rookie

I have a Nutrimill. I really like it. I also think their customer service is fantastic. However, I cannot tell you whether flour milled from a Nutrimill compares to Authentic Foods Superfine flour because I've never bought or used that before. I have bought other flours like Millet and Sorghum flours that seem to me about the same fineness of grind that I get from my Nutrimill when grinding brown rice. It does take a little longer in the Nutrimill to grind brown rice than it does to grind white rice or popcorn or teff or other grains for some reason. I'm not sure why. I have a friend with a K-Tec mill that gets a pretty fine grind as well and she likes her K-Tec a lot too. I think it's cheaper milling my own flour, I've been doing it almost the whole time I've been on the gluten-free diet so I don't have much experience with "store-bought" brown rice flours.

I hope this helps.

holiday16 Enthusiast
I have a Nutrimill. I really like it. I also think their customer service is fantastic. However, I cannot tell you whether flour milled from a Nutrimill compares to Authentic Foods Superfine flour because I've never bought or used that before. I have bought other flours like Millet and Sorghum flours that seem to me about the same fineness of grind that I get from my Nutrimill when grinding brown rice. It does take a little longer in the Nutrimill to grind brown rice than it does to grind white rice or popcorn or teff or other grains for some reason. I'm not sure why. I have a friend with a K-Tec mill that gets a pretty fine grind as well and she likes her K-Tec a lot too. I think it's cheaper milling my own flour, I've been doing it almost the whole time I've been on the gluten-free diet so I don't have much experience with "store-bought" brown rice flours.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for replying. I guess the texture I'm thinking of is comparable to what regular flour would feel like. Very powdery with no grit whatsoever. I'm very nervous about spending so much without knowing for sure how the grind is for brown rice! I only found one place that would let me return it even after I use it, but it would cost $60 more than other places I could order from. I already have a mill, but the rice looks fine, but when you rub it between your fingers it's just a bit gritty. From what I could tell the mill I have and the K-tec are fairly close as far as grind, but I've heard that Nutrimill is a bit finer.

Do you think the brown rice flour comes out like regular flour as far as texture?

pinktroll Apprentice

If you have a store near you that sells them, you could ask if they do demos if you bring some brown rice in. I have a whisper mill and I grind all my rice flours and some others as well. I can tell you that the brown rice is not a fine a grind as the asian white rice that I have purchased before BUT I have never purchased an asian brown rice flour or the Authentic foods brown rice flour so I do not know how it compares to those.

holiday16 Enthusiast
If you have a store near you that sells them, you could ask if they do demos if you bring some brown rice in. I have a whisper mill and I grind all my rice flours and some others as well. I can tell you that the brown rice is not a fine a grind as the asian white rice that I have purchased before BUT I have never purchased an asian brown rice flour or the Authentic foods brown rice flour so I do not know how it compares to those.

I thought about that, but I couldn't find any stores near me that sell it. I wish the return policies at some of these on line places were better. Most of them will only take it back if it's unused or defective and want to charge a restocking fee. If I can't figure this out soon I'm starting to think I may just place a wholesale order with Authentic Foods, but it's a minimum $100 order so that's alot of brown rice flour!

• 5 months later...
nikken007 Rookie
I have a Nutrimill. I really like it.

It does take a little longer in the Nutrimill to grind brown rice than it does to grind white rice or popcorn or teff or other grains for some reason.

I've been grinding rice and sorghum in my Nutrimill but I hesitated trying teff in it as the manual doesn't say it will grind that. I was looking ito buying a coffee mill of some kind to do seeds. How do you find it grinds teff? Isn't teff too oily or too small for the Nutrimill? Does it clog up or anything? I was thinking it might work grinding teff along with rice or sorghum to use together in a recipe. Have you tried grinding amaranth or quinoa in the Nutrimill?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SUZIN Newbie

I have a Nutramill...and I grind my brown rice flour...and it does take a while...longer than I've heard others say other grains take....I got my mill from pleasanthillgrain.com...they are in Aurora, Ne...I have used this one for 6 or 8 months...the first one I got from them did not work good...so they readily exchanged it for me...this one has worked well...but of course, I do not know what you call fine...it grinds the brown rice OK for me...I use it for all my baking.....

nikken007 Rookie
I have a Nutramill...and I grind my brown rice flour...and it does take a while...longer than I've heard others say other grains take

When I set the dial all the way to the far left (on "F" in finer), it takes an exceedingly long time to mill (sometimes 15 minutes for 1 cup but it varied a lot)and gets very hot. when I set it between the "R" in finer and the "C" in coarser, it took 2-3 minutes, depending on the grain, with very little difference in texture. I like it best set just beyond the "R".

See Open Original Shared Link for picture of dial.

HiDee Rookie

I called the company quite a while back and they say teff, amaranth and quinoa are all perfectly safe to mill in the nutrimill. They are not too small or oily. You can't do nuts or seeds like almonds or flax because those are too oily. I haven't done quinoa because I'm still unsure if it can be ground without rinsing and if it is rinsed and then dried I'm not sure if it will work as well in the nutrimill...If anyone has an answer to this I'd greatly appreciate it. I've done teff and amaranth and they work great. They actually grind really fast because they are so small and they produce a very fine flour that I've had great success with in baking. Finer than rice. I think the nature of the rice grain is just gritty and even if you grind it on the finest setting it's still going to be a little grittier than other grains because that's just how it is. However, I think short grain brown rice grinds a little better/faster in the nutrimill than long grain brown rice. Also, when I talked to the company they concurred that brown rice does take longer to mill and they couldn't really give me a reason why.

Anyway, I hope this helps and again, if anyone has experience with grinding quinoa please let me know.

nikken007 Rookie
I called the company quite a while back and they say teff, amaranth and quinoa are all perfectly safe to mill in the nutrimill. They are not too small or oily. I've done teff and amaranth and they work great. They actually grind really fast because they are so small and they produce a very fine flour that I've had great success with in baking. Finer than rice. I think the nature of the rice grain is just gritty and even if you grind it on the finest setting it's still going to be a little grittier than other grains because that's just how it is. However, I think short grain brown rice grinds a little better/faster in the nutrimill than long grain brown rice.

That's really helpful. Thanks!! Now to buy some of those grains in bulk.

I found some sweet brown rice at whole foods and grind that as well as short grain. I hear the short rice makes for better flour than long grain.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I use my Vita-Mix (dry container) to make flour. It does pretty well. I then sift through a strainer to "refine" it for baking.

• 1 month later...
frenchbread Newbie

There are some companies that sell pre-washed quinoa now - that would be perfect to use in your Nutrimill (or other mill).

betty6333 Newbie

i have a nutrimill- i love it, it does get warm and can leave a dusting if the flour when grinding BUT it saves me $ since i will be doing the diet for the rest of my life. it will grind the brown rice no problem, if it is too gritty the first time thru, i will send it thru a second time to make it extremely fine, i don't think it is to gritty, but it is a personal preference, and it will grind stuff as fine as the store bought stuff if you put it to the fine setting.

Archived