Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoSugarShell

I Need Help!

Okay, here is my dilemma. I have been gluten free for close to 70 days now and I do feel better but nothing really extreme. I am not a diagnosed celiac but I have all the symptoms and also have an uncle that is a diagnosed celiac.

There are a few times that I think I have been glutened because of joint pain, fatigue, eyes swollen, low body temperature, etc.

Is there anyone out there that purposely ate alot of gluten in a day just to see and know for sure that it is gluten making you feel that way? I think it is gluten but just don't know for sure. I really want to know but doctors and testing are out of the question.

What do you think? I am leaning towards just eating something with lots of gluten to see if I have a reaction. Then I will know for sure. Right?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What do you think? I am leaning towards just eating something with lots of gluten to see if I have a reaction. Then I will know for sure. Right?

I did it last Wednesday to "know for sure." I had a long-weekend off from work, so I figured I'd be safe to try it. I've been gluten-free since September 19th. I ate a sandwich and granola bar.

Now I know for sure. I don't question that I have Celiac now.

Good luck.

Join eNewsletter

I did it last Wednesday to "know for sure." I had a long-weekend off from work, so I figured I'd be safe to try it. I've been gluten-free since September 19th. I ate a sandwich and granola bar.

Now I know for sure. I don't question that I have Celiac now.

Good luck.

What happened? Was it a really intense reaction?

Join eNewsletter

I did a test like that and knew for sure that I had it about four days after I went gluten free. I'm still having problems, but they're not as bad as they were that night. I got super sick. I wouldn't recommend trying it if you suspect that you have this.

Join eNewsletter

What happened? Was it a really intense reaction?

I know that people say not to do this to yourself, but people on this forum talk about their symptoms after being glutened and I thought, "I wonder what my symptoms would be?" I never had diahrea before I went gluten-free, but I had awful GI distress and constipation. I read on the forum that people had terrible diahrea when they got glutened after being gluten-free for awhile, so I expected that, but I still didn't have it, I got constipated again. In fact, one of the best things I noticed after going on the gluten-free diet was that my bm's got normal.

I expected my reactions to last a few days. I didn't expect new reactions to appear days after I glutened myself! I wonder how long this will last? I've heard that some people take days-weeks-MONTHS to get over a glutening.

Here's my reaction to my intentional glutening (remember that this is HIGHLY subjective. I've read posts from lots of other people who've had completely different reactions)

I ate a sandwich on white bread and a Special K bar on Thursday morning:

Immediate symptoms (Thursday)

Felt nauseous right away.

I got a rash on my inner thighs.

headache

no bm (constipated)

Day later (Friday)

eczema on face

rash on legs worse

irritable

no appetite

constipated

runny nose - hay fever symptoms

cotton mouth

distended belly

2 days later (Saturday)

tired (slept 12 hours)

constipated

eczema spread to neck

little acne on forehead

rosy-red nose

rash on legs

run-down looking/feeling (son said "you look aweful!")

cotton mouth

hay-fever symptoms

distended belly

3 days later (Sunday)

tired (slept 10 hours at night and 3 hour nap)

little acne on forehead

rash on cheeks

rosy-red nose

constipated

eczema

rash on legs

run-down looking/feeling

distended belly

4 days later (Monday)

moderate acne on forehead

rash on cheeks

rosy-red nose

constipated

eczema

itchy scalp

rash on legs

joint pain

distended belly

5 days later (Tuesday - today)

BM Finally!

headache

moderate acne

eczema

rash on legs (going away)

pale/circles under eyes

distended belly

Join eNewsletter

I know that people say not to do this to yourself, but people on this forum talk about their symptoms after being glutened and I thought, "I wonder what my symptoms would be?" I never had diahrea before I went gluten-free, but I had awful GI distress and constipation. I read on the forum that people had terrible diahrea when they got glutened after being gluten-free for awhile, so I expected that, but I still didn't have it, I got constipated again. In fact, one of the best things I noticed after going on the gluten-free diet was that my bm's got normal.

I expected my reactions to last a few days. I didn't expect new reactions to appear days after I glutened myself! I wonder how long this will last? I've heard that some people take days-weeks-MONTHS to get over a glutening.

Here's my reaction to my intentional glutening (remember that this is HIGHLY subjective. I've read posts from lots of other people who've had completely different reactions)

I ate a sandwich on white bread and a Special K bar on Thursday morning:

Immediate symptoms (Thursday)

Felt nauseous right away.

I got a rash on my inner thighs.

headache

no bm (constipated)

Day later (Friday)

eczema on face

rash on legs worse

irritable

no appetite

constipated

runny nose - hay fever symptoms

cotton mouth

distended belly

2 days later (Saturday)

tired (slept 12 hours)

constipated

eczema spread to neck

little acne on forehead

rosy-red nose

rash on legs

run-down looking/feeling (son said "you look aweful!")

cotton mouth

hay-fever symptoms

distended belly

3 days later (Sunday)

tired (slept 10 hours at night and 3 hour nap)

little acne on forehead

rash on cheeks

rosy-red nose

constipated

eczema

rash on legs

run-down looking/feeling

distended belly

4 days later (Monday)

moderate acne on forehead

rash on cheeks

rosy-red nose

constipated

eczema

itchy scalp

rash on legs

joint pain

distended belly

5 days later (Tuesday - today)

BM Finally!

headache

moderate acne

eczema

rash on legs (going away)

pale/circles under eyes

distended belly

Thank you for that. That really helps. At least I know that when I do it I need to make sure it's a long weekend and nothing important coming up. I do need to do it though for my own peace of mind.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter