Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilypad23

Brain Fog

In some ways, my brain fog has gotten better. I'm better in social situations and I talk more. Also, thankfully, I've gotten much better at math. However, in some ways it has gotten worse. For instance, I'm a student and I used to be a pretty good writer. Even at my worst, I could still write a decent paper. However, this semester, its like I can't write at all. English is my favorite subject but every time I read something or start writing, its like my brain fog kicks in big time and everything that I just had in my head goes straight out. I don't know if its stress or something else, but its really starting to get on my nerves and its affecting my school work. Is this normal? Should I go to the doctor? I haven't been since July or August, before I got the official diagnosis from Enterolab. Also, how long does it take for brain fog to truly go away?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From personal experience, my brain fog has never completely gone away. I keep notes, I write things down that I don't want to forget, then sometimes I forget where I put my notes. I think many of us celiac's also have ADD. I see many of the characteristic's in myself and now, over the years, I can look back and see them. I have 2 son's with ADD and I thought they inherited it from their dad!!! :P OOPS. Don't tell him, ok!

You may have to learn a new way of doing things. In time, you will pull it altogether again.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

Brain fog can have more than one cause. For example, I experience this from lyme disease, and it is mentioned frequently by other patients too. You might want to check the lyme disease thread on this forum as it has a long list of symptoms, just in case.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

From personal experience, my brain fog has never completely gone away. I keep notes, I write things down that I don't want to forget, then sometimes I forget where I put my notes. I think many of us celiac's also have ADD. I see many of the characteristic's in myself and now, over the years, I can look back and see them. I have 2 son's with ADD and I thought they inherited it from their dad!!! :P OOPS. Don't tell him, ok!

I don't feel my brain fog ever went away completely, either! It's very frustrating because I just can't remember things that I should know. I wish there was something I could do about it. I'm an engineer, I work with tons of smart people and then there's me who completely blanks on the basics.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Elevated mercury is another thing that does it.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

My brain fog never went away completely, either. Actually, it's comforting to see that that's not uncommon (you know what I mean).

My gluten reactions are not as bad as they used to be, after 2+ years, but the brain fog decends and sticks around. I got CC'd a couple weeks ago, and I'm still very foggy and slow. I say I'm still stupid from the gluten :P

Even my husband notices it.... :( drinking something with some caffeine during the day helps me somewhat--temporarily.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Thank you guys for the advice. I appreciate it. Its kind of discouraging that it might not go away, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Neil Young has got to be a celiac, seriously...

"One of these days, and it won't be long."

:D

Margaret

Join eNewsletter

Guest lorlyn

My 11 year old daughter just had her first year anniversary being gluten free but she still has brain fog. It is most noticable in her school work. She goes to a private school so it is based on a harder level and is very hard. Her teacher will make comments like did'nt you styudy for your science test? She thinks she did good on it and then it will not be a good grade. She gets depressed because she does study and still will not do well. I thought it would had gone away by now but I guess it will be something she will always have to deal with :(

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter