Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hayley3

Banana Bread With Pecans

I had a wonderful recipe by Tyler Florence at Foodnetwork.com for Banana Bread. I actually made muffins out of it and it was the best banana bread I ever ate. It normally calls for 2 cups of flour, but I substituted 1 1/3 cups of ground oats and 1 cup millet flour and they turned out great. Texture is a little different but they are still great.

Anyway, just wanted to pass that on. I'm really happy that I can still have my banana bread! :D

If you get the recipe, I would go ahead and make them into muffins and cook approx 23 mins. I got 16 muffins. And fill muffin tins to almost the top. And make sure bananas are really ripe for best flavor.

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have decided that you can have oats, you can sub oat flour 1:1 for wheat flour for the whole recipe. I used to do this *before* I was gluten free because it tasted better.

Of course, you may well want to grind your own flour from gluten free oats (unless those farms sell flour as well), since oats are generally contaminated and can trigger a reaction even if you're not one of the 10% of celiacs (or so) who react to the oat protein itself.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

I was trying to incorporate other flours such as amaranth and millet because of their nutritional value and also because of the iffyness of oats. I was using McCann's oatmeal from Walmart. They say they have a dedicated oatmeal mill for oats only. This was all just an experiment and it worked out so I thought I'd share.

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Join eNewsletter

I was trying to incorporate other flours such as amaranth and millet because of their nutritional value and also because of the iffyness of oats. I was using McCann's oatmeal from Walmart. They say they have a dedicated oatmeal mill for oats only. This was all just an experiment and it worked out so I thought I'd share.

I use the McCanns also, ground my own in the vitamix. I am not worried about oats, there have been enough studies to show them to be ok. I wouldn't go and eat a pkg of instant - the add hot water too type, I think that would be taking a chance. But as for oats I will keep eating them with no worries.

I too use the ground oats in as much as possible for flavor. Used to do it before I went gluten-free and will continue to do so.

It was nice to read someone else uses them also.

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free

Join eNewsletter

I was so excited when these turned out but later on I got reflux so that worried me a bit.

Now I don't know if it was the oats or if it was the corn syrup in my vanilla. I did some research afterwards but got a lot of conflicting information. So I'll have to make something without the vanilla to see if it was the oats or the vanilla.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter