Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isiskingdom

Hot Chocolate

I am craving hot chocolate but can not find gluten-free and dariy free hot chocolate. Does someone know where I can get some?or make some? It also needs to be Soy Free. Also are marshmallow safe?

Bobbie,

tested positive for celiac 2007

Gall bladder removed 2007

D/C a month after daughter was born 2005

Low Blood Pressure

Fainting disorder

food allergy to Dairy, pork,fish,most peanut butter,nutra sweet,aspartam and more to be determined.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I blend together Ghiradelli cocoa and sugar and add to warm milk or water for smooth and safe hot cocoa. Those premade mixes have so many ingredients, they make me nervous. Kraft marshmallows are gluten-free. I don't know about soy, though.

Gina

gluten-free since 2001

Son dx celiac March 2005

Join eNewsletter

I'm currently experimenting with coconut milk. I buy pure unsweetened cocoa powder and add a little bit of agave nectar and some coconut milk. I haven't quite got it perfected yet though, but it's promising. If you can do sugar, that might make it easier to get right, lol. I shouldn't even be using agave. :(

Join eNewsletter

well, it's not bad, lol. I just had some...made quickly in the microwave. I took a heaping spoonful of the cocoa powder, added a little water (just a little) to make a rue (sp??), added some agave nectar, then boiled some water and coconut milk in the microwave...when that was done mixed it in slowly to the cocoa powder rue. Still gonna take some experimenting to get the ratios right. This wasn't bad, but still needs work. May also try it on the stove...when I have some energy, lol.

Join eNewsletter

using cocoa powder will meet your needs - no milk, and no soy in the powder. the slurry is definitely the way to go, and you can also use any other milk alternative you find (almond is one I like). I generally add the agave, to taste, afterwards - if often takes a lot of adjusting, as sometimes I use more cocoa than others, depending on how strong I want it.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

using cocoa powder will meet your needs - no milk, and no soy in the powder. the slurry is definitely the way to go, and you can also use any other milk alternative you find (almond is one I like). I generally add the agave, to taste, afterwards - if often takes a lot of adjusting, as sometimes I use more cocoa than others, depending on how strong I want it.

Ok so I could just use cocoa powder and water and maybe some sugar? What is agave?

Bobbie,

tested positive for celiac 2007

Gall bladder removed 2007

D/C a month after daughter was born 2005

Low Blood Pressure

Fainting disorder

food allergy to Dairy, pork,fish,most peanut butter,nutra sweet,aspartam and more to be determined.

Join eNewsletter

Ok so I could just use cocoa powder and water and maybe some sugar? What is agave?

agave nectar is similar to honey, and comes from the agave plant. it affects blood sugar to a lesser degree than cane sugar, while tasting as sweet. but honey, sugar, stevia... any sweetener can work, though honey or agave will give you a slightly 'thicker' texture.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

How about some almond milk?

Almond milk, cocoa powder, and maybe something to thicken it. Possibly folded egg whites if that doesn't gross you out or cause you problems. Or maybe coconut milk could help thicken it up, but I wouldn't base it off of that. That stuff can be really nasty.

Join eNewsletter

We use chocolate flavored Almond Breeze, heat it up and add a few drops of peppermint extract. All my kids love it - and only one of them is dairy free! The Almond Breeze does have soy lecithin in it, but it doesn't bother me at all and I am soy sensitive.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Join eNewsletter

We use DariFree powdered milk instead of regular powdered milk in a recipe for hot chocolate mix. My kids love it. Kraft Jet Puffed marshmallows are gluten-free/CF/SF.

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

Join eNewsletter

You could do hemp milk as your milk (it's gluten-free, df, sf) and just add cocoa powder. it shouldn't need any sweetener because the hemp milk is pretty sweet...unless you're making it for kids... ;)

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

My favorite hot chocolate--mix a generous teaspoon of pure cocoa powder (I use Nestles) and the same amount of sugar in the raw in the bottom of a mug. Add Pacific Vanilla Almond Milk and stir. Microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes and stir again. Add Kraft mini marshmallows if you want....Delicious! :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

My favorite hot chocolate--mix a generous teaspoon of pure cocoa powder (I use Nestles) and the same amount of sugar in the raw in the bottom of a mug. Add Pacific Vanilla Almond Milk and stir. Microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes and stir again. Add Kraft mini marshmallows if you want....Delicious! :D

somebody in "Coping With" said they reacted to Pacific, might wanna check that out.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Easy microwave hot chocolate, use any milk or sweetening you desire. The trick is to start with 2t of cocoa powder, 2T or to taste of sugar (your favorite substitute here), and a few spoonfuls of water. Mix, microwave for 30 seconds or so. Stir to make a chocolate syrup with everything dry already dissolved. Fill cup with white liquid of choice and microwave until hot enough.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Join eNewsletter

You could do hemp milk as your milk (it's gluten-free, df, sf) and just add cocoa powder. it shouldn't need any sweetener because the hemp milk is pretty sweet...unless you're making it for kids... ;)

Kassandra

There is also a chocolate hemp milk too - that could be warmed for hot cocoa

Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!

Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac

SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden

March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac

Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!

Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene

3 children-

youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease

middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac

oldest - ignores warnings

Join eNewsletter

I'm currently experimenting with coconut milk. I buy pure unsweetened cocoa powder and add a little bit of agave nectar and some coconut milk. I haven't quite got it perfected yet though, but it's promising. If you can do sugar, that might make it easier to get right, lol. I shouldn't even be using agave. :(

Just curious why you say you shouldn't be using agave? I am pretty sure it is safe for celiacs. Do you use the raw agave? It is more easily digestible than other sweeteners.

Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!

SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden

Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!

3 children-

Join eNewsletter

somebody in "Coping With" said they reacted to Pacific, might wanna check that out.

I've been using Pacific for over 2 years and have never had a problem. One thing I've learned, though, is that anyone can react to just about anything. We all have to find out what works for us through trial and error.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I also use Vance's Dari Free to make cocoa/hot chocolate. This product is not available in too many places.....I order it online. Better Than Milk Rice powder also works well.

Try this recipe: Hot Cocoa

What ingredients are in Vance's? Is there high fructose corn syrup, or any corn syrup? My system can't function with that? Marshmallows are mostly high fructose corn syrup :( - But I am looking for something for my little girl to drink - she is wanting hot cocoa pretty badly.

3 children-

Join eNewsletter

Vance's is gluten,casein,fat,soy,rice,msg,protein,cholesterol free. It is made from potatoes.

The ingredients are: Maltodextrin (from potatoes), natural flavors (no msg),crystalline fructose, calcium carbonate, colored with titanium dioxide (an inert mineral),carrageenan,Dicalcium phosphate, salt, tricalcium phosphate, potassium citrate, lactic acid,ascorbic acid (vitamin c) dl alpha tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e) vitamin A palmitate, Niacinamide (vitamin B3), calcium pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2),Vitamin K1, Thiamin Mononitrate (vitamin B1),Cyanocobalamin (vitaminB12), Biotin.

Phew, a lot of ingredients, but as you can see, they are vitamins. Don't know if the crystalline fructose would cause a problem with you.

I have vanilla almond milk on hand, tonight I'm going to try that in place of milk.

Join eNewsletter

Just curious why you say you shouldn't be using agave? I am pretty sure it is safe for celiacs. Do you use the raw agave? It is more easily digestible than other sweeteners.

Just because I have ongoing problems with intestinal dybiosis, candida and bacteria/yeast. I really need to keep the sugars (of all kinds) down.

Join eNewsletter

well, it's not bad, lol. I just had some...made quickly in the microwave. I took a heaping spoonful of the cocoa powder, added a little water (just a little) to make a rue (sp??), added some agave nectar, then boiled some water and coconut milk in the microwave...when that was done mixed it in slowly to the cocoa powder rue. Still gonna take some experimenting to get the ratios right. This wasn't bad, but still needs work. May also try it on the stove...when I have some energy, lol.

I've been making cocoa with cocoa powder, coconut milk and agave syrup for a couple of years now. I found that if you add a dash of sea salt, it opens up the flavor considerably and brings it closer to the real thing. Before I did that, it always seemed to be missing something. It makes a really thick cocoa, but if the thickness bothers you, just add a little water. I tried a speck of scraped vanilla bean and it was a nice addition as well. I always put all the ingredients in the blender for a quick spin first before transferring it to a saucepan. It assures smoothness.

Join eNewsletter

I've been making cocoa with cocoa powder, coconut milk and agave syrup for a couple of years now. I found that if you add a dash of sea salt, it opens up the flavor considerably and brings it closer to the real thing. Before I did that, it always seemed to be missing something. It makes a really thick cocoa, but if the thickness bothers you, just add a little water. I tried a speck of scraped vanilla bean and it was a nice addition as well. I always put all the ingredients in the blender for a quick spin first before transferring it to a saucepan. It assures smoothness.

Actually, I've tried the salt thing before and you're right, I think that's what's missing! I'd completely forgotten about it, lol.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter