This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have Tips To The Gluten Free Life

k-kitkat

k-kitkat Rookie

Im kinda new to the gluten-free life style so if anyone has any tips please feel free to post

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

One thing that I wish I had learned at the doctor's office was look for gluten in things besides food. Soaps, Shampoos, Lotions....etc.

Also watch for CC (cross contaminiation) meaning crumbs on countertops, or wooden spoons, toasters...etc.

Hope that helps

k-kitkat Rookie

CC thats very interesting i never really thought of that

lovegrov Collaborator

You might check out the info here.

Open Original Shared Link

richard

kaitethehutt Newbie

If you're having a bad day because your family is eating cake and you're not (haha, speaking from experience, of course), a trip down to your local health food store might get you some good results. Occasionally, places will stock gluten free cakes or cookie mixes. I once found gluten free cinnamon buns; I think I cried from joy. Coffee is another thing that makes me feel a bit more normal, although I'd stay away from most flavored coffees and teas and such. But it definitely makes things better to have a pick-me-up, believe me!!

loco-ladi Contributor

Use your sudden urges to your benefit...... you will get a sudden urge for the oddest things...... in my case a peanut butter sandwich (I always hated those) use the energy to find a safe gluten-free solution to get you thru it......

want chocolate chip cookies, search online or locally and find some that are gluten-free

You ARE stronger than you think and your willpower is strong, dont give in cause its so not any fun!

x1x-Stargirl-x1x Apprentice

hi there. some tips..

chips will be your anchor to sanity.

try making stuff with corn meal as a wheat replacement.

stuff form ener-g is good.

and by the way most sodas have wheat or milk.

and with people, if you're at a birthday party where people don't know about your allergies,

just take a slice of cake on your plate and talk so much to people you don't have to eat it.

then throw it away or offer it to someone else.

always eat before you leave to go somewhere!

make sure who ever you tell about your allergies will be okay with it and not make fun of you.

remember, what ever you do, you'll never get used to it

but you'll learn to live with it.

.;:STARGIRL::.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 9 months later...
B R I A N A Apprentice

My advice to you...

-Don't look at foods that contain gluten and be like "Yum I love donuts" or whatever, don't horass yourself it makes it harder.

-Look everything up before you eat it. Unless you know it's safe.

-Depending on how sensative you are, be careful for cross contamination.

-As I just learned now, kissing could be a problem, so be careful on that.

-Read lables, and look foods up, it'll suprise you what you can and can't have.

-Don't torture yourself, it's not nearly as bad as it may seem, look for places you can eat at online, and experiment with different recipees and foods to find somethings you'd like eating.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Planning. Know the restaurants in your area where you can get a safe gluten free meal. If you even think you will be away from home beyond your next meal take food with you. See the Travel section of this board for ideas when you need to be away from home beyond a day or two.

Be self suffient. Don't expect gluten free food to be available at social events. Options are to contact whoever is preparing the food and determine if they can feed you and/or bring your own food (some or all). I have done this at weddings, office parties etc... Enjoy the company. There is no reason to skip a social event simply because you can not eat the food.

Be aware. Always read the ingredients, everytime. The less ingredients in a product the better, in my opinion. The only exception I make to my personal less is better rule are specialty gluten free companies such as Glutino and Enjoy Life.

curlyfries Contributor

Read as much as you can on this forum......especially threads started by newbies.

edit: Just realized this is an old thread.

• 4 weeks later...
SusanBurroughs Newbie
Im kinda new to the gluten-free life style so if anyone has any tips please feel free to post

Hi! Welcome! I actually started a gluten-free blog about non-food products. I hope it helps. I am blogging on it maybe a few times a month, so be sure to subscribe.

I hope this helps you get through the first few months by pointing you to the right bath and body goodies.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks,

Susan

Mango04 Enthusiast

Don't ever rely on others for food - assume all food at all social events will be unsafe - be prepared by having your own food with you or eating beforehand.

Learn to enjoy tasty and healthy foods in new ways. Cook with new and interesting ingredients (fresh herbs, different kinds of vegetables). Explore new flavors and new recipes.

oh wow - this is an old thread LOL

Archived