Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skikat

In Utero Behavior!

My son has a gluten problem at 11 months old and when I was breastfeeding had a lot of problems. I remember him being VERY active when I was pregnant, almost so much that I talked to the doc about it on several occasions. I even asked the doc if he was having seizures or something because it was so much movement.

Has anyone else experienced this when they were pregnant? Was he reacting to all the gluten foods in utero? Did this cause damage even then?

Also- from about 3 months to 10 months he had a strange head "sway" like he was saying no, but completely involuntary and not prompted. Sometimes it was more jerky and odd like a "tick". Since we began the gluten-free/CF diet it has gone away. He also had weird tongue twisting recently for about 2 weeks, where his tongue would twist upside down and stay that way for most of the day. We had a swallow study, and an MRI. All normal. The tongue has improved now as well.

Just curious, Has anyone's children ever experienced this too?

Thanks.

Son- 1 y.o. - Active gluten sensitivity (enterolab results 12/07) and two celiac genes found.

Gluten-free/Casein free since 11/07- Positive Results

Negative bloodwork on Celiac panel

Dtr- 3 y.o. IGg blood-test pending for 150 different food sensitivities

Spouse- Active gluten sensitivity and Active Casein sensitivity(enterolab results 1/08)

gluten-free/CF since 1/08- Positive results

Negative bloodwork on Celiac panel

Me- Just crazy and playing detective everyday

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My second oldest daughter (now 26) was overactive before she was born. She had colic as a baby, and projectile vomiting as a two-year-old. They never figured out what was wrong with her. Of course, they also never tested her for gluten intolerance.

She was always very hyperactive. Fortunately, she was also shy, and therefore quiet in school (so never any mention of wanting her on crap like Ritalin). She'd just go absolutely berserk for several hours after getting home.

She and both her babies (17 months and 4 months) are now gluten-free. Her mother-in-law has celiac disease as well, and those children are obviously gluten intolerant. My daughter is feeling so much better off gluten!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son has a gluten problem at 11 months old and when I was breastfeeding had a lot of problems. I remember him being VERY active when I was pregnant, almost so much that I talked to the doc about it on several occasions. I even asked the doc if he was having seizures or something because it was so much movement.

Has anyone else experienced this when they were pregnant? Was he reacting to all the gluten foods in utero? Did this cause damage even then?

My son (now about 2 1/2) has celiac and I'm pregnant now with #2 (a girl!), due in March. I specifically asked my OB about eating gluten while pregnant - if that could affect her if she turned out to have celiac as well. My doc said that my eating gluten while pregnant would not affect my baby in utero, but would definitely get transmitted during breastfeeding. I recall Izak (son) being pretty active, although the main disturbance was that he seriously had hiccups in the womb for the last 3 months I was preg! SO annoying. ;-) anyway, hope that helps...

DS1&only(so far!): born 7/12/05 * chronic diarrhea from age 5 mos. * WF/gluten-free from age 9 mos. * NO MORE LOOSE POOP!

10/19/2006 Tested positive for DQ2 Heterodimer (HLA DQA1*05/DQB1*02) and negative for HLA DQ8. Have followup appt. with ped. GI in December!

Update: Told GI I was unwilling to do serum tests (give him gluten). GI said if what I was doing works, then keep on keepin' on! Happy, healthy & nearly two now! Occasional rash & loose poop from drinking bathwater, so switching to all gluten-free beauty/personal products.

My son (now about 2 1/2) has celiac and I'm pregnant now with #2 (a girl!), due in March. I specifically asked my OB about eating gluten while pregnant - if that could affect her if she turned out to have celiac as well. My doc said that my eating gluten while pregnant would not affect my baby in utero, but would definitely get transmitted during breastfeeding. I recall Izak (son) being pretty active, although the main disturbance was that he seriously had hiccups in the womb for the last 3 months I was preg! SO annoying. ;-) anyway, hope that helps...

I don't think your doctor knows what he is talking about. How could gluten NOT affect a baby in the womb? If it is in breastmilk, I expect that it will be in the blood nourishing an unborn baby as well. I have read that when a baby has hiccups before being born, that signals food intolerances/allergies.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is at least one celiac gene that can be triggered before birth. I believe this occured with my DS but not my DD. My DS was over 6 weeks overdue and in utero he had some of the 'autistic' repetitive behaviors that he showed as an infant. He was very active and he began pulling his hair before he was born. It created some interesting startle reactions when he was real little because he would pull his hair and there was no longer the uterine wall to 'bounce' off of. I was sure he would snatch his little head bald. He was born a small but normal weight and length in the 65th percentile but by a year and dropped off the charts to -10. He would never regain any ground size wise. At a year he only weighed 12 lbs and when his sister was born when he was three she was already 10 lbs. That was when we really noticed how small he was. He was very colicy but very bright. Later he would show definate signs of Aspergers, he formed his first three word sentence before 11 months and could name every car made by 2.5. I fought throughout his entire childhood and teen years to find out what was wrong. It wasn't till after I was diagnosed that we found out he was celiac. The turn around in him has been amazing. Both health and in OCD and autistism features. Knowing what I do now I personally would not consume gluten when pregnant if celiac ran strongly in the family. I know this most likely goes against what they teach but there is so much we have left to learn about this genetic difference.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)