• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

sickchick

I Got Glutened

Rate this topic

So yesterday I made homemade hot buttered rum batter and I got all excited (I make it every xmas) and I didn't even think and thank god I only had 1 shot in my mug cause I was on the toilet with a bucket in my lap for an hour... bleh :unsure:

Maybe I'll change it to hot buttered vodka! LOL! :lol:

hehehe

happy holidays

Are you sure it was the Bacardi? What were the other ingredients? Could there have been contamination from another source?

You could be sensitive to milk ingredients. You may need to avoid lactose and/or casein as well as gluten. Most celiacs have lactose intolerance when first diagnosed, since the villi are the source of the lactase enzyme needed to digest lactose, and there is no lactase until the villi have healed enough to resume producing it.

Bacardi is not derived from a gluten-containing grain. It is gluten-free even before it is distilled. I have enjoyed it on a regular basis, and have never had a reaction after drinking it. I am sipping on some Bacardi Gold as I write this. :D

I'm not doubting that you had a severe reaction; I'm just wondering what the cause actually was.

And (TMI Warning!) I have been in the exciting celiac postion of sitting on the toilet with explosive diarreah while simultaneously vomiting into a bucket. UGH! Only another celiac could understand how this feels. :(

ARE YOU SERIOUS! Maybe it wasn't the Bacardi... the recipe calls for cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, butter and brown sugar.

So far I have been gluten free for 2 months today (applause) and I have been having no troubles with lactose as of yet... ya think maybe it was the butter?

LOL I don't think when Celiac is concerned there is ever TMI! B):D

lovelove

sickchick

ARE YOU SERIOUS! Maybe it wasn't the Bacardi... the recipe calls for cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, butter and brown sugar.

So far I have been gluten free for 2 months today (applause) and I have been having no troubles with lactose as of yet... ya think maybe it was the butter?

lovelove

sickchick

What brand of spices were they? McCormick will label any gluten ingredients and all of their single ingredient spices are for sure gluten-free. You also need to look at what you ate for the two or three days before the reaction occured, often our reactions are delayed. It can be hard to figure out what got us at times. Also there could be the factor of the condition of your liver and pancreas, did you have more than one drink or two? Celiac can effect the function of those organs so it may even be your body telling you it is not ready for alcohol yet of any kind. The Bacardi should be safe, I haven't had it in a while but unless it was something new and flavored last time I checked their rum was safe. The only rums I have ever heard of that weren't safe were ones loaded with flavorings.

As ravenwood glass points out ... delayed reactions are not only possible but seem common for me.

This can be UTTERLY FRUSTRATING ....

I find I have random events for 4-6 WEEKS ... the first 1-2 days Its 'mostly' then the rest of the week its diminished .. then its like my body suddenly finds this bit that was locked away and I randomly get glutened.

Previously I had 100% control on my diet.. 100% gluten-free kitchen... and everything I ate made from fresh ingredients, no tins, packets or anything. This is how i found out how long these delayed reactions last. The ore gluten-free experience you get... and the more little slips the more distinctive the feeling becomes. We talk about 'brain fog' etc. , its a very specific feeling...

I drink bacardi when I go out. I have never had a gluten reaction to it, but it does have very much the laxative effect if I drink too much. It also plays havoc on my blood sugar levels, which makes me very nauesous and shaky.

Hmmmm well I am going with the butter theory. I have had awful butter experiences (mashed potatoes at restaurants, cause I never use it here to cook) and it was almost immediate when I had the reaction.

I am going to kick out dairy and soy.

I used Spice Islands spices. And the nutmeg was Dean & Deluca.

And I haven't drank Bacardi since I went gluten free, I had no trouble in the past, and I only had 1 shot! in 1 drink...

thx! :)

lovelove

sickchick

Are all of your spices new. Anything you used before being gluten free should be thrown out. To much chance for CC. Also, and this is a big one. What about your pans? Did you bake gluten in them before? Last christmas I replace EVERYTHING! Rolling pins, muffin tins, bread pans.... I had to use some tin foil ones for a while because the process was expensive. But I am safe and that is all that matters.

Good Luck. I think if make these alterations you should be able to do your butter rum cake. Then maybe you could share your recipie. Like what kind of flour did you use? Thanks!