Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cassidy

Cheerios Substitutes

Guest cassidy

My son, Ty, is 7 months now and I've started him on solids. I have only given him veggies and I think I will add rice soon. What is a good cheerios substitute?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I used Baby Mum Mums. They have some dairy, though, but I don't know if you are restricting that or not. I found them at Wal-Mart in the baby-toddler food section.

We also used Dora stars and the dried fruits. Check the gerber snacks. I think (I may be wrong, though) that the fruit puffs are gluten-free.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

When our daughter started solids and needed small foods that "melted away" when you put it in your mouth (the real reason why most little ones grow up on Cheerios :) ) we used gluten free Rice Krispies substitutes. Nature's Path (same company that also produces Envirokidz cereals) makes a crisped rice cereal that she really liked. When she was getting a little better at gnawing, we moved on to puffed corn cereal (like popcorn but more golden color and no kernel) that came in a big plastic bag (also by Nature's Path) and Health Valley Corn Crunch'ems & Rice Crunch'ems (gluten free versions or Corn Chex & Rice Chex - at first I'd break them a little so they weren't too big for her mouth). Then, when these were mastered and she was ready for some real light chewing and not just gumming with a little bit of front teeth, she moved on to Panda Puffs & Gorilla Much from Envirokidz.

I was thinking of trying to make a gluten free version of Arincini soon, too, for the kids to try (cooked risotto, rolled in bread crumbs [thus the needed modification] all mixed with herbs, salt, parmesan cheese, then fried for a few minutes). You could probably do something like this, too, for a little one.

There is a gluten free, almost exact replica of Cheerios called Perky-O's. I'm the gluten-free one in our house, and I love them. The closest I've found to date.

Ryan

Positive blood work May 06

Positive results with diet change

Guest cassidy
There is a gluten free, almost exact replica of Cheerios called Perky-O's. I'm the gluten-free one in our house, and I love them. The closest I've found to date.

Do they dissolve the same way as Cheerios?

Do they dissolve the same way as Cheerios?

From what I remember in gluten days they are a very similar texture. I know they have three flavors. One is regular, one is apple cinnamon ( my daughters favorite) one is frosted (my favorite). I dont know if they have any other flavors. In our health food store they have sample packs of them to see how you like them instead of buying the big box till you have tried them.