Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRUMI1968

Mammagram

Hi all! I've had some pain in one breast and had it checked out today. The doc didn't think it was anything, but is having me do a mammogram anyhow (I'm 39 - so probably just an age/safety thing). I'm having it on Wednesday morning.

Any tips? Any descriptions of the process?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

First, make sure you are in the middle of your cycle and not right before your period. Your breasts are too swollen and tender. If that's the case, you might want to reschedule it until after your period. Trust me, it'll make a difference during the procedure.

I'm not going to sugar coat it, it's not the most comfortable procedure in the world. But it goes fast and before you know it, you're leaving the facility. The nurses there are extremely nice - I've had several and never had a grumpy-guss yet. They will walk you through the procedure and tell you what to do.

Good luck!

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992

Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005

Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

They will have you remove your deoderant to keep the chemicals off of the equipment - anticipate some cold wipes :P . My lab provides some sort of generic spray-on deoderant if you want it - I take my own in my purse.

I think the bitewing x-rays in the dentist's office (when the corner of the film catches you in the roof of the mouth) is a worse experience.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

I call this my annual squishing. The machine compresses your breast. When I have mine done there are usually a total of four compressions. Each breast is compressed in two different positons. It is not comfortable but the compression does not last very long.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

I know your having this for breast pain so make sure you speak up loudly if it hurts a lot. They can do an ultrasound if they should have problems with the mammo. Usually the test is a bit uncomfortable but not really that bad, as others have said.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

If you've gone through childbirth, it's a breezy walk through the park (...but what isn't?) :lol::rolleyes:

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

I've had many mammograms (I'm ancient :lol: )

It's a bit uncomfortable (I would not call it painful at all)--certainly nothing to be afraid of. It goes by quickly and the greatest pressure is over in a matter of a few seconds.

I've always found the techs to be very kind and I'm sure they'll walk you through the whole thing. Let them know why you're there, and about any fears you have about the procedure itself. Believe me, it's going to be fine :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev