Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shannnn

Does This Test Still Exist?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My doctor said that the Anti Gliadin IGA test no longer exists. Is this true?

That test still exists. Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA-IgG and AGA-IgA) are less often used used to test for Celiac Disease due to a low level of accuracy in people who have not yet been diagnosed. (source: http://www.celiacdisease.net/testing) . However, the test may still be run as a part of the celiac panel.

It is very common to have the anti gliadin test run as a followup test after a period of time to ensure compliance to the gluten-free diet (source: http://www.celiacdisease.net/assets/pdf/celiac disease...lowUpTests7.pdf)

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quest Diagnostics (a blood test company) has a page on Celiac and the tests that can be ordered for it. You can print this page from website out and show your doctor that it still exists....My God, the test wasn't around years ago so why would they suddenly stop "making' it....that makes no sense at all.

I don't have their web address but sure you can google it.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

My doctor said that the Anti Gliadin IGA test no longer exists. Is this true?

It still exists but doctors REFUSE mostly to allow you to take it. It turns out, I was NEGATIVE on all panels EXCEPT the IGA Anti-Gliadin test (which was high). It was only because I have a great internal medicine doctor that I was given that test. My TTG was at the highest range of normal possible w/o being positive - so what does that mean? I have all the symptoms of celiac (including lactose intolerance now) but none of my tests come back positive (except that one). I am on the gluten-free diet and feel 1000% better.

I've talk to a few other doctors and people with gluten intolerance that 1/2 of the people I talk to tested NEGATIVE on their testing. I do believe the doctors don't want to use the IgA Anti-Gliadin because it is a MUCH better test to indicate even a MILDER form of intolerance that has NOT YET progressed to full celiac disease. I think very soon the doctors will be made to look like fools for this... they want a 'full-proof' test and they are NOT going to get one!

Just my 2 cents...

This is still a test which is available. It is a test that is usually sent to a reference lab such as AML, Quest...etc.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif