Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mango04

Everyday Minerals - Great gluten-free Mineral Make-up!

Well, I waited until 5:20pm yesterday for my order, but I finally had to leave. DHL tracking had shown it as being with the courier all day, but it never came. Now it shows as being scheduled for delivery. I got my last order with regular shipping faster than I have gotten this one with 2nd day delivery. Pox on DHL.

Does anybody own the baby kabuki? Is it really tiny? :unsure:

I ordered the baby kabuki, but can't tell you yet. It says the handle is 2" and 1.25" brush. It also says it goes great with the sample sizes, so I would guess that means it is pretty small. I will know Saturday when I get back home.

I had read several posts on the site where people really liked it, so I ordered it.

I read these posts too and went cosmetic hunting on the internet for gluten free cosmetics and got a bunch of samples. I'm not sure why everyone is so excited about Everyday Minerals. I was not impressed with their foundation or blush. I found it as dull and borning (not to mention not as effective as other brands!) as its name implies.

Of them samples I tried on my taste testing tour through gluten free cosmetics were the brands, Afterglow Cosmetics, Everyday Minerals, and Monave. I have to say that I liked Monave the least - the color was kind of weird and chaulky in a way as well as too shiny. Everything was just downright too tooo tooooo glittery (even the foundation! for me) The lipstick was very hard and terrible. Everyday Minerals kind of fell in between. I wasn't impressed but it wasn't my favorite. All the companies are signers for the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics...

I liked Afterglow Cosmetics the most. It gave me such a pretty glow (sorry for sounding redundant there!). The blush is absolutely fantastic and the mascara is perfect (which seems really hard to find - a natural mascara that is also gluten free). They also offer samples of almost all their products and a 30 day return policy (even on samples!) In addition, the website said that the founder is really sensitive to the whole gluten free issue bc. she has a sister and mother with celiac disease in her family. There is a gluten free statement on the website. The products also use a lot of organic ingredient which I like. If you're looking for a great gluten free alternative cosmetic company with a wide selection I definitely recommend Afterglow.

Abi

PS - I also read on the boards that people recommended EcoBella - I tried this a while ago, not to excited about it and really, really not excited about it when I read that some of their products contain paraben preservaitves and carmine. Does anyone know if they have reformulated?

PPS - since we are talking about mineral cosmetics and giving reviews one that I absolutely hated was Bare Escentuals because it had a weird sheen to it and made me itch (I'm kinda sensitive like that)

How did you get the free samples?

Go to the EM website, under "Custom Kits" at the top and add "Free Makeup Sample Kit" to your cart.

Then fill the kit, choose your 3 foundations, 1 blush, and 1 concealer.

You do have to pay $3.97 for shipping.

Here is a direct link to the Custom Kits page:

http://www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=kits

PS - I also read on the boards that people recommended EcoBella - I tried this a while ago, not to excited about it and really, really not excited about it when I read that some of their products contain paraben preservaitves and carmine. Does anyone know if they have reformulated?

I think it still contains parabens, but out of all the mascaras out there, this is the least toxic one we can seem to find. Do you know of a paraben-free mascara?

MY ORDER CAME!!!! I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow! I've hardly had time to look at it, but from what I've seen so far, I'm going to LOVE this batch of colors! I'm also trying some of the foundations in the Golden category...according to one of the books I've been reading, because of my ethnicity/racial makeup, I am "warm", lol. I always thought I was cool, so I'm going to try these and see what happens.

I mixed Olive Light with Fair Medium today and it's almost the perfect color...I put a brush load of minerals on my face and it hardly showed, lol.

The free samples that came with the "special" look interesting: Ivory, new Sunlight Finishing Dust and Bisque Color Corrector.

So, I don't know if I've tried this before or not...it wasn't on my spreadsheet, lol...I tried Favorite Hoodie (a blush) as an eyeshadow, and like that very much that way. I used Dark Brown brow color for a liner (and again used the lip brush as an eyeliner brush--love it).

AbiJ,

Hello and welcome and thanks for your review! I guess that's why there are so many mineral companies...something for everyone. :P I have to agree about BE...made my face break out and itch.

Well, I waited until 5:20pm yesterday for my order, but I finally had to leave.

Aw, sorry it didn't come in time!

I liked Afterglow Cosmetics the most.

It looks very nice. Expensive though! Price-wise, it looks similair to BE.

I'm glad you got your stuff Donna!.

..and I'm sad you didin't get yours WW340 :(. I don't find dhl to be that efficient, either.

Donna, you'll have to let us know about the free sample concealers. :)

yeah. I want some that can conceal my unwashed dishes and the minus signs in my bank account.

I checked out Afterglow but for me the price is much too high for me to consider. Also the foundation color range is limited especially in the more cool shades.

I am happy with EM, just still fine-tuning color and the best formula and skin care to go with it.

I decided today I need to lay out all my foundation samples in front of the computer to see which colors I haven't tried that are possibilities, and compare them on the screen and in the jar.

Definitely!

yeah. I want some that can conceal my unwashed dishes and the minus signs in my bank account.

:lol: Yeah, nothing I've found so far conceals any of that, nor the 2 years of dust on any piece of furniture in my condo, nor the pile of who-knows-what-all-is-in-there that's been on my spare bed for at least a year. :P

Did mention that when I went on vacation in October, I had a much easier time because my suitcase was STILL on the bed from the last vacation I took the YEAR before. :ph34r: Yeah, I work overtime trying to find appropriate concealors. :lol:

So, now I'm frantically trying to stuff junk into whatever space I can find because I will be having an appraiser coming out within the next couple of weeks. :lol::ph34r:

Phew, feels good to confess! :P

I don't like that Ecco Bella has parabens either, but it doesn't bother my eyes like so many other mascaras do, and it's convenient for me to get <_<

Well, I waited until 5:20pm yesterday for my order, but I finally had to leave. DHL tracking had shown it as being with the courier all day, but it never came. Now it shows as being scheduled for delivery. I got my last order with regular shipping faster than I have gotten this one with 2nd day delivery. Pox on DHL.

Sorry your order didn't arrive in time before you left :(

Well at least you'll have a package waiting for you when you get home :D

MY ORDER CAME!!!!

DONNA!!! I was all flustered this morning, in a disarray, when I couldn't find your usual "crack of dawn post" in our cult makeup thread....for an hour or so until you showed up and posted all was not right with the world :lol::lol:

Yay! How exciting about your order :D

I expect you will be giving reviews of the colors when you are able???? ;)

LOL. Do you suppose "bisque" will conceal the large pile of work on my desk?

I decided today I need to lay out all my foundation samples in front of the computer to see which colors I haven't tried that are possibilities, and compare them on the screen and in the jar.

You can always make a spreadsheet! ;)

DONNA!!! I was all flustered this morning, in a disarray, when I couldn't find your usual "crack of dawn post" in our cult makeup thread....for an hour or so until you showed up and posted all was not right with the world :lol::lol:

Yeah, stupid work! :angry: They actually made me work, and before that I was busy trying to get my refinance paperwork done and copied so I can overnight it back. Stupid non-fun stuff! :angry::lol:

You always make a spreadsheet! ;)

I can forward a few. :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Also the foundation color range is limited especially in the more cool shades.

I am happy with EM, just still fine-tuning color and the best formula and skin care to go with it.

I am also happy with EM, and I agree with you Sherry that it seems no other company can compare to EM with all the choices of foundation shades :D

Just remember though, the color on the website, and color card, and even in the jar isn't always what you will get when it is applied.

So, now I'm frantically trying to stuff junk into whatever space I can find because I will be having an appraiser coming out within the next couple of weeks. :lol::ph34r:

Phew, feels good to confess! :P

:lol::lol:

I don't like that Ecco Bella has parabens either, but it doesn't bother my eyes like so many other mascaras do, and it's convenient for me to get <_<

I did just think of another mascara I used to use. It's called Gabriel, and I found it in a local health food store. Here are the ingredients:

Deionized Water, Carnuba Wax, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Cellulose Gum, Grapeseed Extract.

www.gabrielcosmeticsinc.com

Maybe I'll try it again when myh Ecco Bella runs out.

I am also happy with EM, and I agree with you Sherry that it seems no other company can compare to EM with all the choices of foundation shades :D

Ditto! ...and another benefit of EM:

my skin is clearer than ever! (knock on wood) I've also never found such a close foundation match. I love it! :wub::wub::wub:

Sounds like this a job for "To Do List"

"twill lift your spirits and makes your daily tasks truly rewarding"

:lol:

I did just think of another mascara I used to use. It's called Gabriel, and I found it in a local health food store. Here are the ingredients:

www.gabrielcosmeticsinc.com

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll se if I can find it next time I go grocery shopping :)

Seems like I can only get 3 or 4 brands here, Ecco Bella is one, Burts Bees, and a few others I can't even remember....maybe Zia? Something with a "Z".

omg :lol::lol::lol:

People are walking by my desk looking at me like this ---> :huh:

I guess I shouldn't tell them I'm laughing so hard at something that relates to eye shadow. :ph34r::lol:

I think it still contains parabens, but out of all the mascaras out there, this is the least toxic one we can seem to find. Do you know of a paraben-free mascara?

Would these ingredients be paraben free? This is the mascara I have in my cart at Monave, would love to hear input on the ingredients. It is gluten free.

Natural Mascara: purified water, Vegetable glycerin, beeswax, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, vegetable glyceryl stearate, lecithin, vegetable stearic acid, safflower oil, glycine soja (soybean) oil (and) aloe barbadensis leaf extract, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, silica, cellulose gum, tocopherol, xanthan gum, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, rosemary) leaf extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, phenoxyethanol. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77480).

MY ORDER CAME!!!!

YAY Donna! Can't wait to hear about all your new colors and experiences!

LOL, Mango! Or the pile of laundry I have yet to put away.

:lol::lol::lol:

I keep checking out the Monave site...and their prices are more than EM so I only want to order things there I cannot get at EM yet. Even their brushes are double the price and don't really look as nice! Also, I've seen more bad or mediocre reviews than good ones so I don't want to risk it.

Just had to let you all know I've not strayed far... :D

Natural Mascara: purified water, Vegetable glycerin, beeswax, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, vegetable glyceryl stearate, lecithin, vegetable stearic acid, safflower oil, glycine soja (soybean) oil (and) aloe barbadensis leaf extract, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, silica, cellulose gum, tocopherol, xanthan gum, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, rosemary) leaf extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, phenoxyethanol. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77480).

Looks paraben-free to me! :D

Usually it will say methylparaben or propylparaben if it has any of that stuff in it.

Hopefully EM will come out with a mascara soon! AND hopefully (!) they will find a hidden stash of hundreds of long handled kabukis they didn't previously know they had! LOL

I've found some great natural mascaras at http://bewellstaywell.com/Mascara.htm. I'm using the Beauty Wise one. Although it has jojoba... and I think that's irritating my eyes. :angry:

Julie,

I saw the things Kassandra listed, and am probably going to start using a diluted ACV toner, but the Oil Cleansing Method is actually a method of cleaning your skin with oil (ok, that was more than a bit redundant :lol:). Basically you massage a mix of oils into your skin, and then wipe them off with a hot washcloth.

I've decided to do something wild and crazy and order the peach lip gloss... :lol: :lol:

Well, I've ordered all the pinks I THOUGHT would look good on me, and that didn't quite work, so I'm going to order the ones I think will look horrid and see what happens. :P

By-the-way...just looking at the jars in my order....I think I'm in love with Ginger Peach! Who knew!?

I've decided to do something wild and crazy and order the peach lip gloss... :lol: :lol:

Well, I've ordered all the pinks I THOUGHT would look good on me, and that didn't quite work, so I'm going to order the ones I think will look horrid and see what happens. :P

Go for it Donna! Live on the edge...

By-the-way...just looking at the jars in my order....I think I'm in love with Ginger Peach! Who knew!?

Oh nooooooo. That is the second time I've heard such things about ginger peach. Does this mean I must try it too? :rolleyes:

(and into my cart it goes.....)