Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

janelyb

Why Do Patch Testing?

Ok I went to an allergist for my son all blood work and skin pricks were all negative for allergies. The celiac pannel was inconclusive...at that time the allergist recommended patch testing. I never went back to have it done.

He tested + for gluten,casein and soy with enterolab.

Should we go back and do patch testing? What help will it have for us?

He does have endoscopy and biopsies scheduled this thursday since he still has ab destention & constipation. But he has been gluten-free for 8.5 months.

Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07

**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:

Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner

dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Patch testing is helpful for reactions to various allergens, metals, chemicals. I had it done to test for the standard panel. It confirmed I am not allergic to latex, but am allergic to some metals (nickel, chromium and cobalt) and to neomycin (polysporin has a related antibacterial ingredient.) It is good to know, because these metals can be found in foods and used in making a long list of different products I may come in contact with on a regular basis. The adhesive on bandages is one example.

The test itself involves putting many different patches on the back, which get left there for a number of days. Once the patches are off, it's another wait to see if there is a reaction that shows up a bit later. Of course, no full-body baths or showers during this time...and it's really hard to keep from scratching those spots.

Michelle

My two year old had patch testing done just over a month ago and that's how we confirmed his soy and dairy allergy and discovered his corn allergy. It has been discovered recently that patch testing is a fairly reliable way to determine food intolerances related to eosiniphilic disorders and it's non-invasive. My son's allergist is trying to find ways to "prove" his allergies/intolerances without having to put him back on the offending foods. Since my son's patch test and subsequent removal of corn from his diet in addition to gluten, soy and casein (which were removed in May due to positive RAST study), he has gained 3 pounds and 1-1/2 inches. Corn didn't show up on his RAST test. I don't think she tested in his original skin prick test, but his skin prick test was inconclusive anyway. She has since done a skin prick test to real milk, soy milk and corn and they all came up positive.

The patch testing itself wasn't too bad. It was a hassle to have to go to the doctor's office twice in a week and not being able to get the patch wet was a pain, otherwise it was the least invasive test we've done so far.

Here's a link with more information (see question #4): http://www.apfed.org/faqs.htm

Here's a link with more information (see question #4): http://www.apfed.org/faqs.htm

thanks that link was very informative I do wonder about corn so I think I may give the doctor another call.

Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07

**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:

Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner

dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*