• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

musikal101

Celiac's And Speech An Dlanguage Delay

Rate this topic

Speech delay seems to be a common celiac disease symptom in young children, as are delays in many other areas.

Can I find any documentation f this in any literature or studies? Do these delays tend to resolve on their own if a gluten free diet is adhered to?

Thank you for any information.

Jessica

Here is a link with a very interesting article. http://www.drkaslow.com/html/gluten-brain_connection_.html

Here is a quote from the very bottom of this article:

From an informal survey of about 20 people with gluten related sensitivity, >90% reported improvement from a gluten-free diet. All spoke of delayed learning prior to a gluten free diet either in themselves or their children. Some of the physiological, cognitive, and emotional symptoms they reported with dietary avoidance of gluten included:

* Improved ability to learn

* Improved interest in school

* Improved concentration

* No more meds for depression problems

* No more avoidance of meeting people

* Expected full recovery of ataxia problems (inability to coordinate muscle movements)

* Improved gross motor skills (was delayed in some cases)

* Improved physical growth (was smaller than expected)

* Went from bottom of class to the top of his class after 3 months on diet

* Found a "hunger" for learning after avoiding gluten

* Improved mood with less

Very interesting. Thank you for the information. My little guy is 21 months. I don't have a diagnosis, but have seen so many drs and had so many tests no one is putting it all together yet.

I think it is related as well.....but I think other factors may play a role too. My 5 year old daughter was dx'd at the age of 3. She was about 1.5 years behind for her age in everything, but speech was her biggest deficit. She didn't exactly have a speech delay, just major articulation, and expressive/receptive delays.

She has been gluten free for over two years, but she still needs quite a bit of speech therapy. I think there is a window in which children can overcome delays, and once you get past that time frame, it takes much more work for them to catch up. Going gluten free helps clear the mind, but many times therapy is still needed. I also have my daughter casein free too, I found that casein seems to cause her brain fog as much as gluten.

Now on the flip side, I also have a 3 year old who has been gluten free for over a year, but he is also in speech therapy. And my almost 18 month old still isn't saying any words yet, so she may have a speech delay as well, and she is also gluten/casein free and has been since she was born. So even though they are gluten free, they still have speech problems. But, who knows how severe their speech issues would be if they weren't on the diet???? My oldest daughter (who ate gluten the longest) is definately the most severely affected when it comes to delays and speech issues....so I think there may be some genetic factor in play, which was exacerbated by gluten/casein.

That is clear as mud right??? Lol...hope that helps some!

Musikal-

My son was diagnosed with celiac at 18 months. Before he got sick, he was starting to say words, 'ma' and 'cook' (for cookie). When he got sick all speech stopped, and at his 15 month app't (before he was diagnosed), my dr. suggested speech therapy through First Steps in our town. The week we started therapy was the week we went gluten free. He is now almost 20 months old and is talking up a storm. Said 'big spoon' the other night. :D The therapist said that he's now up to speed with his speech, and we have probably only one more session to make sure he's on track. The therapist had never seen a patient whose speech went from nothing to normal just because of diet. Trust me, I'm happy he can communicate, I was tired of all the crying!

On a side note, one thing which did help was sign language. We taught him several signs (eat, diaper change, help, more, owie), and it did wonders to help him tell us what he wanted. How he signs 'eat' and says 'eat' at the same time!

Thank you everyone for all your insight and advice. My son is in speech therapy an dis using sign language. He has about 20 signs right now. Sign language is wonderful and I would recommend it to any one. We are just kind of at a stand still with the speech. Maybe the diet will help as it did in some of the other children.

Thank you.