• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

blueeyedmanda

Brownie Disaster!

Rate this topic

So I always make Gluten Free Pantry truffle brownies. The last few times, I noticed that they would crumble when we were cutting them. This even happened when they had been cooled completely. So two nights ago I made them and saw on the package where it said to cool in a freezer for best results...This could't have been more wrong.

I stuck the tray in the freezer, it was only in there 10 minutes. I took them out and the pan was rock hard. When I finally did slice one it crumbled to hard chunky powder flying all over the kitchen. Even letting them warm back up to room temp didn't help.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Gosh Amanda--that's too bad....and at the price of those mixes, too! :angry:

I've never frozen mine--I just bake them and when they're cool, cut pieces as needed so they don't dry out as fast. Then cover with plastic wrap. They've never crumbled, although near the edges they are drier and harder to cut through sometimes.

I know I think one bag of mix is $6 or more. So it was depressing. I wanted brownies so bad. I guess there will always be another day. I am not sure if I will try making them any time soon though. I was too disappointed that night. :)

IMHO, those chocolate truffle brownies are just TOO good not to make another attempt ! :D

I make mine in my own silicone mini muffin "tin" - let them cool, pop them out, and freeze them in ziplocs. No need to worry about cutting them up !

Those are usually so good. Do you think the mix was out of date? Maybe you could use the crumbs for an ice cream topping or to sprinkle over a cake... I never has that happen, like Jersey Angel I just cut apiece as needed.... well I could eat the whole thing but I try to limit !!!!!

mamaw

I've never tried gluten-free Pantry's brownies - I have had great luck with Pamela's (I think that's the name). Either way, I agree with Northernelf, brownies are just too good to not try again :D !

Amanda, was the mix old? I've never had a problem with any of GFP's stuff. I would call them and let them know what happened. Maybe they'll refund your money or send you a new bag.

Amanda, was the mix old? I've never had a problem with any of GFP's stuff. I would call them and let them know what happened. Maybe they'll refund your money or send you a new bag.

That's a good idea :)

I am at work right now.. but I have a GREAT recipe for brownies from scratch... so when I get home I will post it. I got it at our local gluten intolernt group meeting. I know it starts with 1 c of cocoa, 1/2 c applesauce, sugar, quinoa flour,and I don't remember what else.. but I will post this later today... so chewy and good!! MMMm

I've baked these brownies a couple of different times, I've always let them cool on the counter about and hour+ or so and it seems they don't crumble as much as they do when they are still a little hot.

I did freeze the extras once and they didn't crumble for me. I let them thaw completely on the counter I don't know if that made a difference, but they tasted as fresh and held together as the freshly baked ones.

LOL. Just goes to show. I have the opposite problem, mine turn out too gooey. WAY too gooey. Not a crumble in site. I'm at 6700 feet so altitude may have something to do with that, I don't know. I have the same problem when I make a flourless chocolate cake. I wind up leaving everything in way longer than the recipe calls for. So maybe if you took it out sooner? Or used more oil or water? I don't know.

Violet

So I always make Gluten Free Pantry truffle brownies. The last few times, I noticed that they would crumble when we were cutting them. This even happened when they had been cooled completely. So two nights ago I made them and saw on the package where it said to cool in a freezer for best results...This could't have been more wrong.

I stuck the tray in the freezer, it was only in there 10 minutes. I took them out and the pan was rock hard. When I finally did slice one it crumbled to hard chunky powder flying all over the kitchen. Even letting them warm back up to room temp didn't help.

Every time I've made the truffle brownie mix, they're fine if I cut them right away, but after they're cooled, they are as hard as a brick and I've thrown 2 batches away because I was afraid of someone breaking a tooth. I bake a lot, and it's one thing I think I'm pretty good at. Rarely do I ruin anything, so I'm not sure this is just me.... Never had a problem with any other mix, but I just went back to making them from scratch.

ok sorry it took a few days.. but MIL went into the hospital, so I have been a bit busy...

Herre is the recipe for Brownies that I think are GREAT!!!

1/2 C applesauce

4 oz chocolate (unsweetned) or 1 C cocoa (I use cocoa)

4Tbsp oil

4 eggs

1/2 tsp salt

2 C sugar

1tsp vanilla

1C quinoa flour

I add chocolate chips and nuts... pour into 9x13 pan bake 350 for 25 min

We made these last night (actually MIL did when we were out). She added some milk chocolate & peanut butter chips and they are the moistest, yummiest, heavenly things I have EVER tasted!!! She did not freeze them before cutting, but did let them cool.

I've had great luck using Arrowhead Mills Brownie Mix.....at 7,500 ft and also at lower altitudes. The were so moist and delicious, I haven't tried other brands or recipes yet........well, just one...Pamela's...I misread the directions and messed up. I ate them anyway. I travel on a full time basis and Arrowhead Mills Brownies have been hard to find, but can be ordered by mail. Non-celiac family members gobbled up "my" brownies, they were so good.

manda,

sorry this happened, I too haven't had much luck in the begining with any gluten-free baking til now.

I use Bob's Red Mill brownie mix and it too is quite expensive $6.95 on sale lol

I get mine at the health food store and make it just as suggested then put into a greased throw away pan (comes with snap on plastic lid from wal-mart I use the 13x9) I use half the better then melt 1/2 cup carmel bites new from Kraft in the mocro 20 sec each til melted - I save the mixing cup I used to melt my butter in - and immediatley add to spreaded mixture in pan and then add the rest of the batter making sure all carmel is covered, bake accordingly and I don't cut or even do anything til the next day. after I let them cool awhile I put the plasitc lid on the pan and leave alone til next morning then slice into squares of whatever is bettter if company I slice smaller if just us I slice about a 3x3 square. If u made them of a morning u could eat that evening :) I think with them not cooling all the way and putting the lid on makes them moister :)

Good Luck !

I live in IL so don't have a high altitude, but with some of these recp's I've been trying posted on the site they call for not enough liquid and I have to always add more, so if they could tell us that it maybe wht is the problem u r having ?

Bea

I had Pamela's in the beginning and I really did not like it at all. A lot of members use and really like it, but when I used it....4 years ago, maybe it was different.

For those brownie lovers who love the "edges", check out this product....edge brownie pan

I'd love to try gheidie's recipe....applesauce and mayonnaise provide moisture in recipes. Quinoa flour is not sold here. That's about the only product that I don't have!