Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustMe75

Diagnosis Based On Diet Response

I know I have seen a few people that said their doctor diagnosed them with Celiac based on their dietary response. I was just wondering because I had negative blood work and decided not to do the biopsy but did have a major response to the diet. I assumed I was "gluten intollerant" but was curious what made some doctors call it celiac and not gluten sensitivity. I know it doesn't matter either way, intollerance or diagnosis I am not going back because I feel better but it still sparks my interest if I could have celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My celiac was found with an elimination diet prescribed by my allergist, MD. My diagnosis was confirmed by my GI. It was confirmed and called celiac not Gluten Intolerance most likely because the challenge he ordered caused a severe GI bleed on the morning of the endo. I had been gluten free for 2 months and the severe D with bleeding was caused by only a 3 day challenge. In my case the challenge risked my life. I got my 'official' diagnosis but at a great cost to my health.

My DS was also diagnosed celiac through dietary elimination and resolution of symptoms. My DD was diagnosed by blood tests and endo, my DH by only blood and dietary elimination of symptoms. My DH is most likely the only one of us that would be considered gluten intolerant because of the lack of GI symptoms but the doctor calls him celiac also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

My celiac was found with an elimination diet prescribed by my allergist, MD. My diagnosis was confirmed by my GI. It was confirmed and called celiac not Gluten Intolerance most likely because the challenge he ordered caused a severe GI bleed on the morning of the endo. I had been gluten free for 2 months and the severe D with bleeding was caused by only a 3 day challenge. In my case the challenge risked my life. I got my 'official' diagnosis but at a great cost to my health.

My DS was also diagnosed celiac through dietary elimination and resolution of symptoms. My DD was diagnosed by blood tests and endo, my DH by only blood and dietary elimination of symptoms. My DH is most likely the only one of us that would be considered gluten intolerant because of the lack of GI symptoms but the doctor calls him celiac also.

I keep telling myself I don't need an official diagnosis but there are so many times where it would help to say I have a diagnosis of something that can be "real" to the rest of the world. Nobody could know how I feel when I eat something with gluten except me so the only one this is real to is me. I can tell people and some try to understand that if I eat the wrong thing I get very sick to my stomach but they probably think it's like a stomach ache. (and we all know how different the gluten stomach pain is!) I don't need sympathy for my pain, but understanding for my diet restrictions. I will probably never get anything official, but it would be nice. Nobody wants to be sick, but not getting a diagnosis doesn't make you well.

Sorry now I'm just complaining ;)

My GI "officially" diagnosed me with celiac from a blood test and dietary response but no biopsy. I consider myself lucky. But the truth is "official" diagnosis or not, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's a duck. ;)

Oh, and ESPECIALLY if it poops like a duck! (Anyone with celiac, diagnosed or not, knows EXACTLY what I mean!!!)

• Gluten-free since 6/12/07
  • Positive Blood Test
  • Sjogren's Syndrome
  • DH
  • HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8) DQ2 and DQ8

My GI "officially" diagnosed me with celiac from a blood test and dietary response but no biopsy. I consider myself lucky. But the truth is "official" diagnosis or not, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's a duck. ;)

Oh, and ESPECIALLY if it poops like a duck! (Anyone with celiac, diagnosed or not, knows EXACTLY what I mean!!!)

:D

Good one with the duck there. I gotta remember that one.

I had negative blood work (but had been gluten free for 3 week), positive results with Enterolab and big results with diet so I was diagnosed with Celiac.

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.