Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suzib

Struggling

Hi,

I am new to this website and I really hope someone can help me. I have been on a gluten free diet for the past 2 years and the only time I have been sick is when I eat gluten in foods without realising it is in it.

At the moment I am sitting here with pains, bloating and my arms and legs are covered in huge red welts which are that itchy its driving me crazy. I am trying desparately to find what I have eaten to start this reaction.

My question is ...... does anyone know if Balsamic vinegar contains malt/gluten.....As it is the only thing I can think that I have had to give me this reaction.

I knew that I couldn't have malt vinegar but thought that balsamic was OK.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it....

thanks

:huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From http://www.gfcfdiet.com/Beginningthediet.htm

Acceptable Vinegar:

corn vinegar

rice vinegar

potato vinegar

beet vinegar

apple/cider vinegar

Red Wine Vinegar

White Wine Vinegar

Balsamic Vinegar

distilled wood vinegar (wood-based vinegar is often the vinegar

used in processed foods - verify with manufacturer)

distilled vinegar

I haven't had any trouble with it. Anyone else??

I hope you feel better soon. :(

Gluten free since October 2007

Houston, TX

Most of them are okay but some balsamic vinagers will have added flavors to them. Have you called the maker to ask if this is gluten-free? That would be my first step. Also some food companies will change formulas or plants, this could make something you have eaten that was safe now unsafe. When cereals decided it is healthier to be multigrain many added wheat starch to products that had been safe just to have that multigrain label. Make sure you periodically recheck products that you use.

You also talk of food but don't mention personal products. Have you checked shampoos and such? Many of us become more sensitive to small amounts once the body gets used to being gluten free so do check those products also if you haven't already.

It can be really hard to pinpoint what the problem is at times we never find out what 'got' us, I hope you are able to figure it out soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Hi,

I am new to this website and I really hope someone can help me. I have been on a gluten free diet for the past 2 years and the only time I have been sick is when I eat gluten in foods without realising it is in it.

At the moment I am sitting here with pains, bloating and my arms and legs are covered in huge red welts which are that itchy its driving me crazy. I am trying desparately to find what I have eaten to start this reaction.

My question is ...... does anyone know if Balsamic vinegar contains malt/gluten.....As it is the only thing I can think that I have had to give me this reaction.

I knew that I couldn't have malt vinegar but thought that balsamic was OK.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it....

thanks

:huh:

I had the same symptoms when I became allergic to nuts. Red itchy welts severe swollen arms hands fingers legs feet and toes. Have you had any nuts lately I became allergic at age 23.

Good luck