Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustJust

Probiotic Help........

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if someone could recommend a good probiotic supplement for me! I am one of those Celiac's that never suffered from GI symptoms. The past ten years before I was diagnosed though I had been anemia had osteoporosis, joint pain and nerve pain.......... Once in a while I would get constipation and gas but nothing that the average person didn't get.................... HOWEVER, Since going gluten-free i am having stomach problems? Don't know why in the world this is happening, most of my other symptoms have improved but this stomach issue has sucked big time..... I am wondering if a probiotic will help me out but I haven't have the slightest clue as to what to take that is gluten-free or even where to begin when picking out a brand. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much, Justine P.S Today is my 4month gluten-free anniversary............ WOO HOO!

Justine REGISTERED NURSE

DOB 1-80

Dx w/ celiac disease via Biopsy and Seurologies 08-06-07

Misdiagnosed for 10 years, MisDx on 01-07 with RSD/Complex regional pain syndrome

Anemia, Osteoporosis (bone pain), Nerve Damage, Bruising, Depression, Fatigue, Swollen Glands, Gas, Constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Everyone,

. Once in a while I would get constipation and gas but nothing that the average person didn't get.................... HOWEVER, Since going gluten-free i am having stomach problems? Don't know why in the world this is happening, most of my other symptoms have improved but this stomach issue has sucked big time.....

What are your symptoms with the stomach? Some possiblilities with just guessing is your not getting the fiber you used to get so stomach acid doesn't get carried out and causing irritation. Or the opposite could be true your not making enough acid and food stays in your stomach to long causing gerd. This is what people spend millions of dollars on every year to find out. :angry:

Eigher way probiotics will work. It will help the intestines implimenting good bacteria which will help with gas. It might take awhile finding one that will work for you. I really don't have any favorites but others I'm sure will post theirs.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

congrats on your anniversary!

I use Floragen and really like it. I get it at my local health food store. It needs to be kept refrigerated to keep the good bacteria alive. I am someone that will take probiotics for life. They really make a difference and help me with my stomach issues.

Terri

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

What may be occuring is that as you have gone gluten free you are now more sensitive to things like CC. One of the first things you need to do is take a good look at what you were eating the 3 or 4 days before your tummy gets nasty to you. I strongly suspect what has occured is you are no longer a 'silent' celiac. This is not always a bad thing.

As to probiotics if you can tolerate gluten-free yogurt that is one of the best ways to get them. I used that until I had to give up dairy. Now I eat saurkraut frequently which has the same probiotic properties. I know others like the supplements and I will let them advise you on the pill forms.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Do yourself a favor and buy Natren Healthy Trinity probiotics. I have tried many different brands and Natren is by far the best. It's a little expensive, but worth it. I had constipation too, and the Natren probiotics completely cured it. I know I probably sound like a salesman, but it is definitely a quality brand. But don't buy it off of the Natren site. It is much cheaper eslewhere. I buy mine through Vitamin Discount Center. I think it's www.vdcusa.com. Good luck,

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

Do yourself a favor and buy Natren Healthy Trinity probiotics. I have tried many different brands and Natren is by far the best. It's a little expensive, but worth it. I had constipation too, and the Natren probiotics completely cured it. I know I probably sound like a salesman, but it is definitely a quality brand. But don't buy it off of the Natren site. It is much cheaper eslewhere. I buy mine through Vitamin Discount Center. I think it's www.vdcusa.com. Good luck,

-Brian

THANKS BRIAN I WILL DEF CHECK IT OUT~

Justine REGISTERED NURSE

DOB 1-80

Dx w/ celiac disease via Biopsy and Seurologies 08-06-07

Misdiagnosed for 10 years, MisDx on 01-07 with RSD/Complex regional pain syndrome

Anemia, Osteoporosis (bone pain), Nerve Damage, Bruising, Depression, Fatigue, Swollen Glands, Gas, Constipation

Every day I eat Psyllium (metamucil fiber capsules about 8) and I also eat GLUTEN FREE|DAIRY FREE probiotics (Renew Life brand) :) They make me happy LOL :D

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

I use Flora-Q. I have been doing well with it and my dr wants me to take it 2'xs daily for the next few months. I think once daily is the normal dose. It's pretty easy to get at almost any drugstore. you don't need a prescription but they keep it behind the counter at the Wal-Mart pharmacy I use. Good luck. Can you tolerate gluten-free yogurt? That can help too!

Teri

gottaBGfree