This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Samis Millet & Flax Bread -- Anyone Tired It?

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

My heath food store swears it's ok.

We know we've all heard that before.

Didn't realize till i got home that it wasn't dedicated and says gluten /wheat products also produced.

i usually only go with SAFE ones but was wondering if anyone has used and been ok with it.

the ingred look ok but it's the cc. I know most will say........'better safe than sorry'

thanks Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Run away!!!!! Open Original Shared Link. That bread has been shown to have serious CC problems. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot villi. :)

I just read this in the Celiac Listserv:

"I have been asked to post this to the list by the President of the Tri-County

Celiac Support Group of Michigan. The group has attempted to work with

Sami's to inform them about the high levels of contamination in some of their

products.

The following is a direct quote from the President of TCCSG & the testing

report that they received:

"We sent 2 samples of Sami's products - the millet & flax hamburger bun and

the plain millet bread to University of Nebraska, Lincoln to be tested for

gluten. Here is what they sd. The gluten testing of the bun and bread

samples that we received on Tues, Feb 13th, 2007 has been completed. The

results are listed below

Sample Millet & flax hamb bun >5000 ppm

Plain millet bread >5000 ppm

The lower limit of detection for the R-Biophar Ridascreen Fast Gliadin is 10

parts per million (ppm) gluten. Amounts below this level cannot be reliably

detected in this assay. One ppm is equal to one milligram of gluten per

kilogram of sample product.

There is another whole paragraph, which says the levels are prob even

higher."

I consider this information that all celiacs should be aware of and they

should make it known to other celiacs and to support groups.

Carolyn Sullivan

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THANK YOU ............THANK YOU.............

I NEVER DO THIS................I MIGHT BUY IT BUT NEVER EAT TILL I CK IT OUT.

WELL AT LEAST I WILL KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM WILL BE THIS TIME. I ATE A SLICE FOR DINNER :ph34r:

THEY SAID I CAN TAKE IT BACK AND FOR OVER $5.00 A LOAD YOU BET YOUR BIPPY I WILL DO JUST THAT AND SHOW THEN YOUR POST.

AGAIN........THANK YOU..........TO BAD IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD GOING DOWN. :blink::ph34r:

bluejeangirl Contributor
Run away!!!!! Open Original Shared Link. That bread has been shown to have serious CC problems. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot villi. :)

My goodness I can't believe its that high. I have been eating this bread off and on for awhile. They sell it at as the gluten free bread at my local health food store. They go through about 40 loaves a week. They told me their raw dog food and Sami's bread products are their biggest sellers.

I always wondered about the fact it was not a dedicated factory. That number is so high though. Even oats as contaminated as they are run about 200 to 1800ppm. Makes me angry I'll pay so much for special oats and then eat this bread! Well thanks for the heads up.

Sorry Judy I hope you feel ok :(

Gail

jerseyangel Proficient

OMG--I'm just seeing this! That is SO high....are you ok?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI

Gail, have you noticed any problems personally with this bread?

I didn't seem to have any reaction ........so for me after 2 1/2 years might not have reacted as fast as before-- but so far so good.

I just took a bad fall about an hr ago ......i'm ok but sure fell hard and flat and hit my hip replacement knee full force .........so that is the imediate thing I'm dealing with now. :ph34r:

I'm always so careful so I don't fall but was doing 3 things and once and carrying some packages up the stairs........Gosh a fall can happen so fast. Counting my blessing tonight for sure.

hope more people will chine in but it still doesnt' sound safe at all to me.

probaably one of those ......one load good.........one awful..........

take care everyone.......

hugs

Judy

jerseyangel Proficient

Take care of yourself after that fall!!!! :o

Glad at least you didn't have a reaction to the bread--that's all you'd need.

TTYL ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluejeangirl Contributor
HI

Gail, have you noticed any problems personally with this bread?

I didn't seem to have any reaction ........so for me after 2 1/2 years might not have reacted as fast as before-- but so far so good.

hugs

Judy

I didn't notice a reaction eigher. For many months I would make pizza with their pizza crusts ( every sunday ) for the football games. So I ate this more then I did the bread. I'm not as sensitive with GI as you are though. My symptoms are mainly brain fog and real bad bloating in my stomach with c.c. Then of course depending on how bad the c.c. it quickly turns into a couple days on the couch with pain all over. I'm hoping we hear from others on this too.

B) <---- detective smile.

Be careful with that knee. :( I can't carry anything down stairs if I don't have at least one hand on the railing. I always thought I was weird because I couldn't even go on escalaters without holding on the railings but now I know my balance was always screwed up.

Gail

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Thanks Patti and Gail

Gail......i always have to use a railing and both sides if there. But last nite had stuff in one arm. Fell in the bedroom DIDN'T TURN ON THE LIGHT....... :ph34r: WISH I COULD BLAME ON RAIN FOG........BUT HAVE TO BLAME ON BEING JUST PLAIN STUPID :blink: AND PUSHING. YEP, MY BALANCE IS GONE...............GONE.................WONDER WHERE IT WENT........ :lol: I'D LIKE TO GO AND FIND IT AGAIN.

J

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hi Judy

How's your knee? I read an earlier post on how you fell. Hope everything is well. :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Thanks Amanda and everyone........I'm really ok just so darn sore but I'll take it over what it could have been.

you guys are the best.

wish we could eat that bread tho.........it was soooooooooo good...guess i said that before. :D

Gonig to call the company in FL tomorrow.

will let you know if i hear anything

• 1 month later...
rnksloven Newbie

My husband and three sons were dx'd almost two years ago with celiac disease. We used the bread for over a year for my hubby, but curiously, none of my kids would touch it. I figured they did not like the "seeds" in it. About a month ago, I used a few stale pieces to make bread crumbs, figuring the kids wouldn't notice. Man, oh, man, did they get sick!! We then stopped using it for my husband, and lo and behold, he was able to re-introduce dairy successfully. This bread is extremely tasty - but stay away - far away - if you're celiac!

skichikk18 Rookie

That really stinks, that bread was good! I was curious about it but am so new to this diet that I am not sure if I would have noticed right away.

• 1 year later...
shawnatony Newbie
My goodness I can't believe its that high. I have been eating this bread off and on for awhile. They sell it at as the gluten free bread at my local health food store. They go through about 40 loaves a week. They told me their raw dog food and Sami's bread products are their biggest sellers.

I always wondered about the fact it was not a dedicated factory. That number is so high though. Even oats as contaminated as they are run about 200 to 1800ppm. Makes me angry I'll pay so much for special oats and then eat this bread! Well thanks for the heads up.

Sorry Judy I hope you feel ok :(

Gail

wow.. I can not believe that that bread is bad :( I am soo mad. I have been eating it on off for months.. since last fall... and just until a month or so ago, I was eating it more reg.. like almost one slice daily.. well, I never had any issues before and for the past month I have had the same dizzy/heavyness things happening to the right side of my head(no pain) just dizzy but weakness too.

Searching on the internet, I seen a thread last week that said Sammi's bread was not ok. I brushed it off!! gosh!! why??? lol.. I guess I too figured this bread was ok, being I had been having it for so long and honestly, I LOVE this bread. it even has NO sugar! so anway..they were getting worse all weekend and then this week. Tuesday something told me.. maybe it IS that bread. and I had been eating one slice with almsot each meal and sometimes 2 slices for a sandwich rather than just one.. so on Tuesday (5-19) I had my last peice. I had a few spells yesterday but noticed they were less.. and today not ONE so far.. its crazy. and when I first found outt 2 years ago I couldnt not have gluten I had been tired, and all the symptoms for about 3 weeks and within 2 days of removing gluten I had my energy back and within 4 days I all my braingfog/dizzy etc was gone! So I knew if it was the bread it wouldnt (probably take too long to find out).. so its bittersweet.. :( I just got my hubby to finally start eating it cause its so much better than reg. bread! My health food store says the same, that its gluten-free.. but Im sure that is what they are told.

anway... had to come and post beause I just want to be another voice out here on this bread. its so sad.. and I when I first came across a thread from a googel search.. I didnt believe it.. now today I find all this.. so here is one more.. maybe one day I can go back to just having one piece, just a couple times a week.. but for now.. its not going near my mouth!!!

thanks for everyone here, who has taken the time to share! it means the world and for many, thier health and peice of mind!!

Shawna

shawnatony Newbie
I didn't notice a reaction eigher. For many months I would make pizza with their pizza crusts ( every sunday ) for the football games. So I ate this more then I did the bread. I'm not as sensitive with GI as you are though. My symptoms are mainly brain fog and real bad bloating in my stomach with c.c. Then of course depending on how bad the c.c. it quickly turns into a couple days on the couch with pain all over. I'm hoping we hear from others on this too.

B) <---- detective smile.

Be careful with that knee. :( I can't carry anything down stairs if I don't have at least one hand on the railing. I always thought I was weird because I couldn't even go on escalaters without holding on the railings but now I know my balance was always screwed up.

Gail

wow.. I can not believe that that bread is bad :( I am soo mad. I have been eating it on off for months.. since last fall... and just until a month or so ago, I was eating it more reg.. like almost one slice daily.. well, I never had any issues before and for the past month I have had the same dizzy/heavyness things happening to the right side of my head(no pain) just dizzy but weakness too.

Searching on the internet, I seen a thread last week that said Sammi's bread was not ok. I brushed it off!! gosh!! why??? lol.. I guess I too figured this bread was ok, being I had been having it for so long and honestly, I LOVE this bread. it even has NO sugar! so anway..they were getting worse all weekend and then this week. Tuesday something told me.. maybe it IS that bread. and I had been eating one slice with almsot each meal and sometimes 2 slices for a sandwich rather than just one.. so on Tuesday (5-19) I had my last peice. I had a few spells yesterday but noticed they were less.. and today not ONE so far.. its crazy. and when I first found outt 2 years ago I couldnt not have gluten I had been tired, and all the symptoms for about 3 weeks and within 2 days of removing gluten I had my energy back and within 4 days I all my braingfog/dizzy etc was gone! So I knew if it was the bread it wouldnt (probably take too long to find out).. so its bittersweet.. :( I just got my hubby to finally start eating it cause its so much better than reg. bread! My health food store says the same, that its gluten-free.. but Im sure that is what they are told.

anway... had to come and post beause I just want to be another voice out here on this bread. its so sad.. and I when I first came across a thread from a googel search.. I didnt believe it.. now today I find all this.. so here is one more.. maybe one day I can go back to just having one piece, just a couple times a week.. but for now.. its not going near my mouth!!!

thanks for everyone here, who has taken the time to share! it means the world and for many, thier health and peice of mind!!

Shawna

• 3 months later...
jbperkins Newbie

I ate this bread in 2007 and was soon after throwing up violently (my reaction to gluten). I was so mad after doing research and finding the information about the Michigan group testing it, I reported the company to the FDA. I am sure the FDA did nothing about it as they were a very busy with the whole tomato/pepper salmonella contamination etc. I wrote to the company too. Until they fix their issues, stay FAR FAR away from their products. Perhaps we can get the Gluten-Free Living magazine to do an expose on them!

• 5 months later...
murfsgirl Newbie

Hi all

I'm newly diagnosed, and I had very mild symptoms - mostly GI. I've been eating Sami's breads for the past few months with no obvious problems, but I'd like to be more vigilant... Since we all have gluten free kitchens, I was wondering if anyone has been able to bake something like their millet-flax or banana-millet bread? The ingredients seem fairly simple but I don't really understand baking yet.

Thanks

jenny

Archived