This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Seriously Dry Skin

loco-ladi

loco-ladi Contributor

OK, I grew up in Maine and a few years ago moved to NE and the air here is SOOOOOOOOO much dryer than my body is used to every winter I get horrible dry skin.... cracks, bleeds itches drives me up the wall...... well this is my first winter gluten-free and I tossed all my hand lotions and body lotions in the trash so........ being thats its December and cold and dryer than normal I am having fits...... hurts and itches so bad I can concentrate long enough do the research to look for gluten-free

HELP ME! Take pity on me, something.... anything quick and easy and can be found in almost any store...... yes walmart is a 60 mile drive! Seriously shopping impaired locally!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

The first thing that comes to mind is Dove. Most, if not all, of their products are gluten-free. Since I've been using their hair care products, my scalp has stopped itching (it was driving me out of my mind, it was so bad).

I am using a different lotion (Lame Advertisement Renew lotion, which has to be ordered online), but I bet the Dove lotion would be good, and you can get it anywhere.

wildkat Rookie

If you are not allergic to coconut oil it works pretty good. If you can find the food grade type, you can use it for cooking as well as for the body and hair (use sparingly on hair). It does have excellent health benefits. The Walmart near me just started stocking it. If you take vitamin E that will help a little for the dry skin problem.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

If you do go with coconut oil, try to find that is not chemically extracted.

Desert Essence makes some great lotions that are gluten-free. Also, try some of the Burt's Bees lotions that are really thick. My doc told me that if the cream comes in a tub, that is better than a bottle, for serious problem dry skin.

Good luck.

loco-ladi Contributor

While I dearly love burt products around here they are just to expensive so going to find some of the dove products on my lunch break today, lordy I hope it helps I feel like I am going insane, lol

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Neutrogena makes a Norweigan Formula that comes in a white tube. It is gluten-free and our family even uses it as a lip balm. It is very thick and has been able to heal my cracked hands overnight.

I also use Suave lotions, they will clearly label gluten ingredients and do make one with oats so don't get that one but most are okay.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Just a reminder--not all Burt's Bee's products are gluten free. Many of their products contain wheat germ oil, so be careful to read their products. I love their chapstick, especially the peppermint lip balm, but I do not have any of the other products. Anything I wanted either contained wheat germ or oatmeal and I can not have either.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wowzer Community Regular

St. Ives Extreme Relief Moisturizing Lotion. It is hypo allergenic. It is the only lotion that I have found that doesn't make me itch. Do watch because some of their lotions contain gluten.

purplemom Apprentice

My hands are usually cracked, sore, bleeding and scratchy at this time of year, BUT I've been using Gloves in a bottle this year and my hands feel oh so soft!! I love this stuff!

Good luck!

Cali

submarinerwife Newbie

You may also want to invest in a whole house humidifier. We have and it has helped tremendously!

loco-ladi Contributor

I have a humidifier in the office and also bedroom but it just isnt enough, we need to replace the furnace and plan on adding a humidifier to that but thats not happening until next year at the earliest...

my "local" K-mart doesn't carry the dove hand lotions, can't find any coconut oil.....

gotta go shopping but refuse to head into "the city" until after christmas, its bad enough to have to go shopping but to have to deal with all those people bumping into me while trying to read endless labels is just nerve racking!

so for the moment I am using my hubby's gluten stuff and making super sure I do it after eating and scrub my hands before going anywhere near anything that resembles food and wearing gloves as well, I look kinda strange walking around the house wearing them but so far so good and the worst of it is gone.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I just discovered a product called Aquaphor, and it's FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!! You can get it at Target or almost any drug store. I am using it on hands, face, lips. Good stuff!

loco-ladi Contributor

Thx..... will add that to my list, Target another store I can shop at when I head to "the city" but can't deal with that until after x-mas.

Archived