Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slee

Breastfeeding And Celiac

I have read that breastfeeding is protective against celiac... but what about when they already have it? Is it safe for me to eat gluten containing foods or not?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gluten does go into your milk, so no, it would not be safe for a celiac baby.

If it's at all possible for you to go gluten-free while you are nursing, that would be way, way better than giving a celiac baby formula.

There was an amazing mom on here in early 2006 whose baby had many food intolerances. The mom kept a very detailed log of what she ate and how the baby reacted. Formula was a total disaster. I swear, the mom saved that baby's life by not only nursing her, but by NOT eating the foods to which the baby was intolerant. All the doctors kept telling her that there was no way that gluten, etc. could get in her breastmilk, but she not only proved them wrong (and they admitted to her later that she was right), but she also found studies that showed that gluten does, indeed, get into breastmilk if the mom is eating gluten.

If you a do a search for "Megan's gagging," on this board, I think it'll come up.

I have read that breastfeeding is protective against celiac... but what about when they already have it? Is it safe for me to eat gluten containing foods or not?

I too read mixed opinions about gluten in breast milk, even the pediatrician and pediatric GI had different opinions. I just know for sure from personal experience when I ate gluten (even tiny amounts...100% gluten-free or don't bother still true here), our daughter had diarrhea almost immediately. I didn't need any scientific proof, I gave up gluten too and we're all much healthier and happier :)

My son was not diagnosed until he was three, and his only food "issue" is with gluten. My breast milk caused him to have diarrhea and to spit up very frequently. It was not until I unintentionally put him on gluten free formula that some of his symptoms started to improve, but by then he was eating gluten so he did not have a full improvement. I know gluten from my breast milk was making him sick.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic