This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Long Island Restaurants

blondebombshell

blondebombshell Collaborator

are there any places that have gluten free menus? i am already aware of outback and chilis.

:D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

whitney728 Newbie
are there any places that have gluten free menus? i am already aware of outback and chilis.

:D

There's PF Changs, as well as Cafe Baldo in I believe Seaford or Massapequa and Mamma's in Oakdale. I think there are reviews of both on this board if you search through old posts.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Mama's in Oakdale is one of my favorite restaurants (and I live in Westchester).

I Love Gluten Cafe is in Wantagh (but in my opinion, not that great).

Other than PF Chang's and Outback those are the only ones I can think of, but I know there is a bbq place also in Westbury (something with Dave's in the name) that is very aware of gluten.

And there are a lot of great health food stores on LI that carry products you can't find in Whole Foods. In Plainview there is Dr. B Wells and Get Healthy America (right near each other but I think they both have some things that the other doesn't).

Hope this helps.

Dandelion Contributor

Outback Steakhouse in Westbury is great. The wait staff really gets it. I haven't been to it yet but Legal Seafoods also has a gluten free menu.

Please check with Famous Dave's (the bbq place mentioned above) before eating there. We used to eat there all the time prior to my being gluten free and when I emailed to ask if I could eat there safely as a celiac they basically told me no. I think I have the email at home. If I can find it I will post their response. I emailed them a couple of months ago so maybe their policy has changed which would be great because I love that place.

• 3 weeks later...
Suezboss Apprentice

Yes, I ditto MAMAS in Oakdale (631) 567-0909 (there are 2 Mamas in Oakdale, this is the number to the gluten-free one!), CAFE BALDO (not Gluten Cafe) in Wantagh, Carrabas in Smithtown (and I believe Lindenhurst? or somewhere else on the Island), You mentioned Outback, Chilis... PF Changs in Westbury. I have also had luck at Grand Luxe Cafe in the Roosevelt Field Mall (I got an omlet and salad, but the wait staff was extremely helpful). I also heard that Chipotle Grill has gluten-free menu (but have never tired it), there is one just opposite the Nassau Coliseum (by Hofstra), and one by the Broadway Mall on Rt. 107. I also *risk* panara's salad in a pinch. Pizzeria Uno also has a gluten-free menu, I have gone to the one in Lynbrook, and have been OK. Also, Charlie Browns in Lynbrook, Commack/Smithtown/Mineola has a gluten-free menu. I have eaten at Laguna Grill in Westbury and Locust Valley, and was able to get a steak salad (no seasoning), and they were very accommodating.

I have also heard good things (I think even a gluten-free menu) about Long River Chinese in West Islip on Union Blvd, Oystermens in Sayville on Foster Ave, and Grecian Caf

Suezboss Apprentice

I also tried to start a blog that had info for Long Island on it.... there seemed to be a lot for NYC out there, but not really LI when I was first diagnossed, I was freaking out!

Open Original Shared Link :D

• 2 months later...
SeanInNYC Newbie

My sister and I (both Celiacs) need to get a Gluten Free pizza from Cafe Baldo in Wantagh every week or two. The owner/manager is a Celiac herself, so she takes it seriously.

Cafe Baldo

2849 Jerusalem Ave

Wantagh, NY

516-22-22ZZ

The crust needs work (it's a bit limp), but it's the best Gluten Free pizza we've ever had.

However, it ain't cheap.

It goes about $22 for a pizza, and toppings are very expensive.

We usually just get a regular pie, and toss some olives on it when we get home :o

The also have a full gluten free menu, from pastas to chicken parmagiana, and the portions for the pasta and entrees are pretty huge.

For the non-celiacs, they serve adequate italian food as well.

However, I just love the pizza. That's one of the things I have the hardest time with :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
de caps Contributor

Blackstone Steak House in Melville has gluten free items. One of the serevers Deborah is great she truly understands what needs to be avoided and cc issues. You're safe with her.

• 7 months later...
SeanInNYC Newbie

Just want to add that in Rockville Centre, there's a restaurant called Open Original Shared Link, that has a Gluten Free menu.

One of the owner's family is Celiac, so they have a dedicated kitchen within the establishment for Gluten Free cooking to avoid cross-contamination. That includes a deep fryer, for big steak fries :D

Redbridge beer in bottles, altough I think most stuff like pasta's/bread, etc. are simply store bought, frozen then cooked. However, they do offer lots of regular dining options that you can feel safe with.

Pretty good restaurant all around.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
there are 2 Mamas in Oakdale

Correction, there are 2 Mama's...one in Oakdale, which is raved about, and the other is in Sayville. No one has mentioned as to whether the Sayville location serves gluten free, or not. I think I heard that it isn't.

Mama's caters our support group's Christmas party every year.

• 2 weeks later...
elefky Apprentice

CAFE FORMAGGIO on Old Country Rd in Carle Place

gluten-free pizza and pasta

Archived