• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I'm not sure I completely undersatand the last post on this. However, I will say that I've seen no evidence whatsoever that a person who has healed and is on the gluten-free diet should not take vaccines. Everyhting I've seen says they should.

I did want to show why that, at least in SOME professions, something like a TB vaccine is essential. This is from our newspaper today. Some is paraphrased to save time...

Tests link 2 TB cases to nurse

CHESAPEAKE (Va.) -- Tests have confirmed that two cases of tuberculosis were contracted from a nurse who died of the disease during the summer, health officials said.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tests proved that the strand of TB the nurse had was the same form found in a co-worker and a patient. The co-worker is doing fine but the patient, who had other serious health problems, died.

There's more, but the point is that people in certain positions SHOULD be required to have up-to-date vaccinations. I dang sure hope the nurse taking care of me has. I have celiac disease, but given everythiong I've read, I would not hesitate to have those vaccinations for my job.

richard

I answered the post under vaccinations. ( I never mentioned anything against a T.B. test. )

There are laws regarding this topic. Some people are not aware of exemption laws.

Some people decide not to get vaccinated and have been legally exempted.

You seem to be upset by that.

A health care worker would hopefully have a code of ethics and protect their patient using all available means.

I would never tell a person to get a vaccination without advising them to read the package insert. New vaccines are on the market and ingredients may change. We know a person posting on this site probably has Celiac, DH, or gluten intolerance. We do not know their full medical history, or other sensitivites that would contraindicate them from vaccination.

It concerns me when someone would make remarks against a person's legal, medical, or religious rights. It is very easy to say someone else is wrong, when you haven't looked from their perspective.

Don't try and take someone's rights away, unless you want your right's taken away.

L.

uhh no one's legal rights are being taken away. i think richard is just trying to take a common sense approach to celiac, which i appreciate. personlly, if a vaccination had gluten, i would still take it. the sickness i'd feel from that are far better than getting the disease and putting others at risk around me by having the disease. of course if you have multiple medical problems you may not be physically able to take a vaccination. and there are proper legal channels to attempt to keep your job while not taking the vaccination. but you also may not be able to hold certain jobs. the law not only protects your rights but also those of the public at large, right or wrong. i believe (and i don't mean to speak for richard, just defend) that he was just looking at the situation as someone who has celiac and no other problems and trying to reassure them they have nothing to fear.

I'm completely befuddled as to where you think I'm trying to take anybody's rights away. If you work in a certain job YOU MUST HAVE CERTAIN VACCINES AND MUST BE CLEAR OF CERTAIN ILLNESSES, PERIOD, I don't care what your religion is or anything else. If your religion doesn't allow vaccines, then you simply cannot work in certain professions, including nursing. That's all there is to it. Period. End of story. You have no right of any kind to contract these diseases and kill other people.

I am not advising anybody not to read inserts or information about any medication.

I am not a doctor or medical person. Please, please, please talk to your own doctor. I've said that time and time again but L. doesn't seem to see that.

But what I have been saying, which you seem not to understand, is that according to every medical person I've talked to, NO IV's or anything injected has gluten, nor is it likely to. Even if it did have gluten, which it does not, it wouldn't matter because you're not swallowing the stuff.

If you want to argue about the general safety of vaccines you should go to a different forum to do that. This forum is about celiac.

richard

You should read the laws on vaccines and never assume every medical proffessional is always fully vaccinated.

I think your approach to "reassure" people on this site is too general on such a highly debated topic. The safest advice is to give a possible suggestion as to where the most reliable source of information can be found.

Quoting your doctor, who is looking at your personal medical history, may not be helpful to others. Your personal decision, may not be helpful to others. Your belief of what other people's (whatever their profession) decision should be, may not be helpful to others.

I have never stated that I believe there is gluten in any vaccine currently available.

I am sorry you don't understand that.

L.

www.909shot.com National Vaccine information Center website offers the link to vaccine exemption laws.

States that allow Philosophical Exemptions

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Idaho

Louisana

Maine

Michigan

Minnesota

New Mexico

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Washington

Wisconsin

All states allow RELIGOUS exemption, EXCEPT Mississippi and West Virginia

All states allow MEDICAL exemption. Check with the sate for more information. (Some just want a signed statement from a M.D. or D.O.)

Some states allow Proof of Immunity.

This is the law, not a debate on vaccine safety. If a person is ignorant of their rights it is just as bad as not having them, isn't it?

Saying that this is a Celiac site is not an excuse to ignore the fact that there are vaccine exemptions.

Do you understand?

L.

"Quoting your doctor, who is looking at your personal medical history, may not be helpful to others."

Let me repeat one more time why I quoted my doctor. My doctor has celiac. As result, he knows a lot about celiac -- more than the average doctor. He stated that from his research the average celiac who has healed and does not have other medical conditions that would preclude immunizations, should have no problems with immunizations. He was NOT talking about my personal nmedical history at the time. He was stating his own medical opinion as to whether people with celiac in general should get immunizations. He takes the flu vaccine every year and I'm sure has had the hepititis vaccines.

If you have not healed from celiac or you have other medical problems this obviously would not apply to you. As I have said time and time and time and time again, talk to your doctor.

"Saying that this is a Celiac site is not an excuse to ignore the fact that there are vaccine exemptions.

Do you understand?"

I'm STILL waiting for you to show me where any of these exemptions allow someone like a medical person to work without required vaccinations. In Virginia, for instance, the exemptions apply to children going into school but the law says nothing at all about being exempted from work requirements. My wife had to prove certain vaccinations and get others. At vaclib.org, the first question I clicked on says SPECIFICALLY that they CAN be required for medical work (though probably not for other things).

My original comments were fairly simple and remain true. First, I have yet to see any convincing proof that people with celiac should avoid vaccines SOLELY because they have celiac. If you have research that shows such please tell us where to find it. Second, there are jobs where vaccinations can (and should) be required. I agree there are school and job exemptions, but these are not blanket exemptions from what I can tell.

richard

Since I have a financial interest and possibly profit from vaccination, I feel it is only ethical to point out it is your decision. You are giving your informed consent.

Different states have different laws and if you have more concerns, you need to look into this personally. If you need help, your local librarian would be an excellent service available to you.

So now you acknowledge the possible exemptions. In my state's laws I can't find where a medical proffessional has to waive their rights. You have found that policy. If you are confronted with such a policy, that is your decision. Get the vaccination to further your career or fight the policy in court.

There are numerous studies on auto-immune diseases and vaccines. There does appear to be a pattern on the outcome and the what parties have provided the funding. (IMO) In one of your previous posts you stated this is not the forum for this topic.

Your doctor sounds wonderfull with a personal insight on Celiac.

L.

Hi.. We have a question.. You see my husband has Gluten Ataxia. Over the past weekend he cut his had. I took him to the dr 8/29. They give him medicine(gluten free)oitment(gluten free).. But what about the Tetanus and Diphtheria Shot.. Today I called the Company. They said They do not put any gluten in But not to sure about in the raw miterials. So maybe it has it and maybe it does not have it... Have anyone here Ever had trouble for this type of Vaccine??????? Thank you

Linda

I've never had that vaccine, but I had a serious reaction to the flu and hepatitus B shot (I received both within 2 weeks and we don't know which one triggered the reaction). I sustained nerve damage (Guillain Barre syndrome). The doctor wonders if I may already have had celiac related neurological damage which the vaccine exacerbated. I don't want to scare anyone of course. I am mostly OK now and am walking. But definitely ask the doctor if the Ataxia itself can be exacerbated. I'm sure he would have access to research on this.

No injected medicines have gluten. The answer from the company saying they can't guarantee the raw ingredients are gluten-free is a standard CYA and means nothing. In fact, I can't even imagine it would actually provide them any protection in a lawsuit.

richard

I've never had that vaccine, but I had a serious reaction to the flu and hepatitus B shot (I received both within 2 weeks and we don't know which one triggered the reaction).  I sustained nerve damage (Guillain Barre syndrome).  The doctor wonders if I may already have had celiac related neurological damage which the vaccine exacerbated.  I don't want to scare anyone of course.  I am mostly OK now and am walking.  But definitely ask the doctor if the Ataxia itself can be exacerbated.  I'm sure he would have access to research on this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry you had to pay for a statistic 100%

I know two people who have had Guillain Barre and neither was the result of a vaccine.

richard